only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Time for a new Turkey Gun?

Started by nsselle, March 04, 2015, 08:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Quote from: Uncle Tom on March 05, 2015, 03:33:47 PM
Quote from: nsselle on March 04, 2015, 11:15:49 AM
Thanks guys, I am doing some research on the 870 as you all and many other have nothing but good to say about the model.  Are you referring to the Turkey/Waterfowl combo gun?
Have the older 870 Wingmaster and that has been the standard of pumps for years..will kill any turkey that walks with authority with right load. The Wingmaster is solid steel receiver and still made, but would get a good used if had a choice. I have a early 90's that had been shot only once and would sell other guns before it. The 870 Express has the aluminum receiver and probably little lighter I think. Also, the Browning BPS pump heck of a turkey slayer also...has taken many a bird for years. I am a pump guy and all are good being suggested...just know where it throws the pattern at all ranges. Do not know if Wingmaster comes in combo...may be the 870 Express...someone chim in.

All 870s are steel
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

BRUKSHOT

Here is my suggestion for your new turkey swatter...It is the Stoeger M3500 with a 24" barrel.  I debated long and hard on researching the perfect turkey setup for myself and decided on this one. 

My reasons are:
1)  I wanted a 3&1/2" chamber, whether I will need it or not.
2)  This gun comes with a recoil reducer that you attach inside the buttstock, to lessen the severity of the "kick" from the        3&1/2" shells.
3)  This gun comes with a chrome lined barrel (no polishing required).
4)  The receiver comes drilled and tapped so you can mount a scope on it.
5)  It is a semi auto so recoil will be a little less than a pump or single shot.
6)  Cost on it was only around the $600 mark, so when I am out and about abusing it on a hunt, I won't feel guilty about beating it up.
7)  It takes the Benelli/Beretta Mobil chokes so choke selection is fantastic.
8)  This gun has very few moving parts in it to malfunction.
9)  It has a nice size trigger guard so you can easily shoot it with thick gloves if in cold weather.
10)  It has built in studs for attaching a sling.
11)  Comes in Realtree APG camo (I like this pattern).
12)  The fit and finish on this gun is awesome!

It basically has everything I want on it for a Turkey setup.  I did ditch the Turkey choke though that came with it and replaced that with a Hevi-Shot .656 Turkey choke.  Now, I am just waiting for warmer weather to get it patterned.  Here is a pic of "Thumper"...

drum817

Weatherby PA-459....& here's way.  Short, light, chrome lined barrel, lifetime warranty,comes with a very nice set of ghost ring sights, has a rail already installed if you want to add optics,built like a tank,smooth action,quiet forend and it patterns great.  I own a 835 too and it's a great shooter....I had a supernova and while it patterned well it weighed a ton.  I traded the supernova for the Weatherby with NO regrets!!!

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

ridgerunner

Benelli Nova with a Rhino Choke is deadly!

kcrebel

Remington SPS-T with the original thumbhole stock.  Then upgrade it to the new Shurshot stock. 
I have found nothing on the market that will out pattern this gun. 
An absolute turkey killing machine that has half a dozen confirmed kills over 60 yards.  Longest is 72 yards measured with a laser rangefinder after a four hour stalk on a group of field turkeys in Western Kansas. 

Twowithone

Id look around for an old Winchester 1300 turk gun cant be beat in my book. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Remington 870 26" Barrel with a HD Remington turkey choke shooting logbeard 6's

Kylongspur88

It's just going to come down to what feels good in your hands. My first gun was an 870 so that's what I'm used to and what feels right to me. Mossburg, remington, benelli, it's all a ford chevy debate.

Cutt

Lots of different opinions, as the final choice is whats right for you. I know looking back, if there was one thing that improved my success, was an autoloader. Regardless the brand you choose, I'd consider an autoloader in my opinion.
Started with a Moss. 500 which killed many turkeys, but cost me several too. A loose noisy rattling forearm for one, and an ejector button that gets bumped once in awhile while running and gunning and not knowing, and at the moment of thruth click, and no boom.
Since using my 11-87 S.M. shurshot and looking back, I personally do not miss a pump for turkey hunting as reasons stated. Let alone the fact if a second follow up shot is needed, the autoloader offers me a more stable and solid follow up shot.

nsselle

Went to Bass Pro last night to look at the mossberg 535 turkey 12 ga. they had on sale for $375, felt like a $375 shotgun and opted to pass on that very quickly, I can only imagine the punch with 3.5in magnums.  They had a Rem. 870 SPS Super Mag 23 in barrel for $549, plus $30 rebate straight from Rem. and I had $50 in points, well I could not pass it up. So the Rem. 870 SPS Super mag it is!! Can pick it up tonight.  Glad I went there as they did not have this model advertised on their website.  Thanks for all the help guys!

Since I will be back at the sports shop tonight whats a good load size to start patterning with? Will hit the range next week.  Seems they only had Hevi-13 3.5 no. 4 shot. 

Thanks again!!!

Gooserbat

I would start with #6 in either longbeards or Hevi. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Cut N Run

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 and the lighter weight aluminum receiver made it kick like a mule.  It was before the days of choke tubes, so I bought a 30inch full choke barrel with a vent rib for it.  The tighter choke helped, though the added extra weight didn't change recoil much.  I shot an 835 at the range one day that still had enough recoil that would kill from the front and cripple behind. Your choice, but if you can afford better, do it.

My buddy has an 870 magnum that he added a limbsaver recoil pad to, which helps felt recoil a lot.  The good thing about either gun is that if they ever give trouble or break, parts are available all across the country.  I've got a 20 ga. 870 Wingmaster that I'm in the process of turning into a turkey slayer and the aftermarket stock choices for 870s are pretty impressive.

I only hunt with 3 inch ammo, but it does a great job.  I'm also much more recoil sensitive than I used to be 33 years ago when I started chasing turkeys. Find whatever gun fits you and your budget.  Remember why you are switching away from your father's gun and make sure your new one doesn't leave you wanting.

No matter what you get, good luck, have fun, & enjoy!

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Dr Juice

I recommend an auto loader. Those pumps kicked my a** over the years.  I have an SX2 and an 11-87.  :turkey2:Good luck.

TNhunterKMC

1187 20 gauge with Truglo SSX choke or Franchi Affinity 20 gauge (there's a Carlsons choke giving wicked results).   Pair them with Federal HW #7  and you have all the turkey thumping gun you need without the shoulder pounding of a 12 gauge.

DirtNap647

hunted with mossbergs all my life bought a browning maxus and it is a great shootin gun