OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Time for a new Turkey Gun?

Started by nsselle, March 04, 2015, 08:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvlimbhanger

QuoteThanks guys, I am doing some research on the 870 as you all and many other have nothing but good to say about the model.  Are you referring to the Turkey/Waterfowl combo gun?

Mine started out as a standard express with wood stock and 26 inch barrel.  Had a gunsmith cut the barrel down and rethread it, drilled and tapped receiver to put a weaver base and scope mounts on it, and I also polished the barrel and put a sur-grip stock on it.

I would definitely polish the barrel when you get it, unbelievable the gunk in a brand new gun.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

That link will tell you all you need to know. 

Once you polish the barrel I would highly recommend getting either a scope or red dot for it because it will shoot tight at close ranges.

bammerslammer 50

I'll add one more thing. While I am not bashing Mossberg by any means as they are very well made firearms the deal breaker with me was the safety locations. I went to a pistol grip style stock in order to save some wrist fatigue and I found that for me it was extremely difficult to disengage the safety without excessive movement due to the safety location. It may be totally different for you or you may not want that style of stock. Just something to consider. Good luck and please post pictures.

Timmer

I have a Supernova pump with a pistol grip.  It has been a super reliable gun through all kinds of conditions.  The pistol grip has come in handy in odd situations, like shooting one handed at a hung up bird off to my side.  If I were to look again, I might look for a shorter, lighter gun.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

rempumpman

I have had many guns in my life and I have killed many Turkeys with many different ones; I love (and always will) my Special Purpose 870 and My Browning BPS; the Browning are "Back Bored" from the factory and that makes a huge difference; if I had to buy just one shotgun for everything I hunted from small game to big game, I would choose the Browning; they are as tough as they come.
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

Bigspurs68

Before you buy anything, put a 870 super mag with a shur shot stock to your shoulder. It's a killer and feels great! 
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Snoodsniper

I handled a 500 at a dealer the other day. It was a new 20 gauge with the adjustable stock. I just can not get past the forend rattle. I know they make a good gun but that's a deal breaker for me. I'd probably go with the 870 as suggested or the benelli if you must. BPS is the ultimate turkey gun though. :)

Ringbill

I was skeptical about the Benelli Supernova when I saw it and held it. Ugly like Darth Vader. Deadly on ducks and flawless so far after four seasons. A little more money than Rem but a keeper. I also have a BPS Stalker that I use for both ducks and turkeys. I vote for both Benelli and Browning if you are after a pump.

Uncle Tom

Quote from: nsselle on March 04, 2015, 11:15:49 AM
Thanks guys, I am doing some research on the 870 as you all and many other have nothing but good to say about the model.  Are you referring to the Turkey/Waterfowl combo gun?
Have the older 870 Wingmaster and that has been the standard of pumps for years..will kill any turkey that walks with authority with right load. The Wingmaster is solid steel receiver and still made, but would get a good used if had a choice. I have a early 90's that had been shot only once and would sell other guns before it. The 870 Express has the aluminum receiver and probably little lighter I think. Also, the Browning BPS pump heck of a turkey slayer also...has taken many a bird for years. I am a pump guy and all are good being suggested...just know where it throws the pattern at all ranges. Do not know if Wingmaster comes in combo...may be the 870 Express...someone chim in.

Oconeeguy

......with a Jellyhead .665 choke. You will NOT regret it.

turkey buster

I like Remingtons and Mossbergs both. My favorite is my Browning Belgium made 2.75in A5 12 gauge. It has a 29in full choke barrel and will along them new Rooster XR shells very well.

But sadly it will hardly ever go hunt and I'll wax his head with my early 90's model Remington 870SP in original bottomland with a 20 inch barrel. Shooting 3in longbeard 5's it puts up 150's all day through a .665 jellyhead.

If that gun don't hunt my Mossberg with a ssx puts 3.5in lb 6's to work 200+ range

Hope I made it more difficult to decide ;)

Will

870... It's a work horse. Easy to break down and clean. I fell and dropped mine in a mucky muddy marsh while driving for Sika deer. Gun was caked in mud. I knocked the pins out, cleaned what mud I could with water and finished my drive killing a sika. Of course I cleaned it better when I was home but no problems since. I still use it to this day. I can't tell you how many animals I've taken with it.

30_06

Ithaca Turkeyslayer is a nice option. Reliable, smooth, very nice gun.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on March 05, 2015, 01:33:17 AM
Before you buy anything, put a 870 super mag with a shur shot stock to your shoulder. It's a killer and feels great!

If I were buying a new one today this would be my pick.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ElkTurkMan

Quote from: jblackburn on March 04, 2015, 10:20:32 AM
I think any of those would be great choices.  I use and 835 and an 870, both throw wicked patterns with the right choke/shell combo and are very affordable.

I have a newer 870 and it is still a good gun, if I were truly in the market for a new (to me) turkey gun, I would search for one of the old 870 special purpose guns made 15-20 (or more) years ago.  I have a buddy that has one in original bottomland and it is a shooter!
x2 on this, if you can find one!  Those old 870 special purpose magnums are fantastic. I am lucky enough to own one and I will never part with it. It throws a wicked pattern and has withstood a ton of tough hunting conditions.

albrubacker

Quote from: jwhunter on March 04, 2015, 02:58:52 PM
:a few years back I was wanting a new turkey gun. At the time I was sure I wanted a mossberg 835 or 935. Well I took someones advice and went to gander mountain and shouldered all the guns in the store . To my suprise  the mossbergs didn't feel right to me. I ended up buying a Remington 870 supermag a few months later. The Remington's fit me better. Now I have also picked up a Remington 11-87 since then.

So I'm I'm not telling you this to try and tell you that a Remington is better. What I'm telling you is go shoulder then guns and see what fit you best!
^^ This ^^
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott