OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Time for a new Turkey Gun?

Started by nsselle, March 04, 2015, 08:59:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nsselle

Well its time for me to hang up my old mans shotgun and get a turkey gun of my own. I have a few options I'm considering, price is really not an factor but I'm not going crazy, I'd rather buy more calls! Pondering the following: Benelli SuperNova Pump, Mossberg 500 Turkey Thug, Mossberg 500 Grand Slam or the Mossberg 935 Grand Slam. I'm open to other opinions but in my own findings, this is what I have narrowed it down to......Any suggestions? Just looking for something simple, get the job done.  Gun will only be used for turkey hunting, so figure three trips a year. Thanks guys!!

ShortSpurs

For many years I used the mossy 500, first generation camo 3" turkey gun. Even with the original factory choke-tube in place, I dropped birds at 35-40 yards, with Fed. #6s ... no problem.

Now a Remington 870 3.5" SM is first out of the safe. Nice gun,

wvlimbhanger

I would take a good look at the Remington 870 as well.  I've had mine for 15 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

jblackburn

I think any of those would be great choices.  I use and 835 and an 870, both throw wicked patterns with the right choke/shell combo and are very affordable.

I have a newer 870 and it is still a good gun, if I were truly in the market for a new (to me) turkey gun, I would search for one of the old 870 special purpose guns made 15-20 (or more) years ago.  I have a buddy that has one in original bottomland and it is a shooter!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

WVhuntEER

My dad and I both have Benelli Supernova's with Jellyhead chokes, Nikon turkey scope, and Nitros.  It's a deadly combo for turkeys.

Hillbilly yelper

Got the Remington 870 wing master magnum, have been using it for over 25 years. This bad boy has smashed a lot of turkey heads! Never a malfunction!
Tim
New email: lmurdock@k12.wv.us

tomstopper

Quote from: wvlimbhanger on March 04, 2015, 10:00:52 AM
I would take a good look at the Remington 870 as well.  I've had mine for 15 years now and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
:agreed: Love mine and its been one of the most durable guns that I have ever owned.

nsselle

Thanks guys, I am doing some research on the 870 as you all and many other have nothing but good to say about the model.  Are you referring to the Turkey/Waterfowl combo gun?

zelmo1

:turkey2: My next gun is going to be an SX3 turkey model

jblackburn

Quote from: nsselle on March 04, 2015, 11:15:49 AM
Thanks guys, I am doing some research on the 870 as you all and many other have nothing but good to say about the model.  Are you referring to the Turkey/Waterfowl combo gun?

Mine is the standard Express model . . . with a few upgrades
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gooserbat

I have a standard black 870 from Walmart that went to the gunsmith.  Had the barrel honed and forcing cone lengthened.  Also did get a good choke, which there are a ton of. 

Now you don't have to do the extras, that was a personal preference, but clean the barrel good, find a good choke, and an 870 will be all the turkey gun you ever need.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

nsselle

Thanks for all the replies guys......now if I can find a store around chicagoland that has an 870 in stock we'd be in business!

tomstopper

My 870 is a super express magnum....

jwhunter

:a few years back I was wanting a new turkey gun. At the time I was sure I wanted a mossberg 835 or 935. Well I took someones advice and went to gander mountain and shouldered all the guns in the store . To my suprise  the mossbergs didn't feel right to me. I ended up buying a Remington 870 supermag a few months later. The Remington's fit me better. Now I have also picked up a Remington 11-87 since then.

So I'm I'm not telling you this to try and tell you that a Remington is better. What I'm telling you is go shoulder then guns and see what fit you best!

tha bugman