turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg Super Bantam turkey choke

Started by deltaV, March 22, 2011, 04:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deltaV

Hey guys,  this is my first post here.  I just bought a Mossberg Super Bantam 20ga for my 10 year old son.  We have his first youth turkey hunt coming up in a couple weeks, and I am quickly realizing I know absolutely nothing about 20 gauge shotguns. 

My son is still pretty small, so I figured the 20 would be a good starting point.  In reading some of the posts, I see many of you have killed turkeys with 20 gauge shotguns, so I am relieved.  But for the life of me I cant seem to find a turkey choke for this gun.  What are some suggestions you guys might have?  Could you also put model numbers, because I'm having a hell of a time finding anything listed for the mossberg.

Thank you!
deltaV

sugarray

I can't give you model numbers.  Are you looking to stay local or can you get one from the internet.  Seems like the .555 and .570 are the diameters to choose, but some are liking the TruGlo SSX in a .550, too.  It also depends on what load you are shooting and how dense a 10" pattern you are looking for.

In my Rem 870, I am shooting a Hastings .562 and Fed HW 1.5 oz #7 and getting mid 110s in a 10" at 40 yds with a good even 20" circle coverage as well.  This gives my 6 yo son plenty of wiggle room inside of 40 yds, which I highly doubt he can shoot that far anyway, just wanted to know the gun's capabilities. 

If you search the forum using the search function above, you will find some answers as well.

R AJ

Your gun has the invector threads which are the same for Browning invector, Mossberg accu choke , . This choke is very available , just look for invector but not invector+.

deltaV

Thanks guys, I'll look for the invector choke tubes

wolverine107

I just bought one of these as well for my 10 year old daughter and would like to know a good choke tube/load combination?

shootumindaface

H 13 7s and a choke in the 570 range..

dawei

Quote from: RAJ on March 22, 2011, 05:54:17 PM
Your gun has the invector threads which are the same for Browning invector, Mossberg accu choke , . This choke is very available , just look for invector but not invector+.
Quote from: deltaV on March 22, 2011, 06:05:05 PMThanks guys, I'll look for the invector choke tubes
Robert has given you excellent advice. Having interchangeable chokes was started by Winchester® in the early 1980's......................
• Browning® Invector®
• Mossberg® Accu-Choke®
• Winchester® Winchoke®
are exactly alike. Within gauge these three chokes, plus H&R®, NEF®, Savage, SKB,  and Weatherby® are fully interchangeable. If you cant find a Mossberg® choke for example, but found a Browning® or SKB® IT WILL WORK IN YOUR MOSSBERG® GUN!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

wolverine107

Will a Primos Jelly Head work in this gun?

dawei

Quote from: wolverine107 on March 23, 2011, 03:31:03 PMWill a Primos Jelly Head work in this gun?
No, Primos® doesn't make a 20ga Jellyhead® choke for Accu-Choke®/Invector®/Winchoke® threaded guns. They do offer a Tightwad™ choke however.

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

wolverine107

I appreciate your response!!!!  By any chance do you know who makes a choke tube for this particular gun in the .570 range?  I'm new to the 20 gauge world!!!!!

TrkyHntr

The primos tightwad is .570, and they do make them for the invector threads. Pretty good choke for around $20.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

deltaV

Quote from: TrkyHntr on March 23, 2011, 07:54:56 PM
The primos tightwad is .570, and they do make them for the invector threads. Pretty good choke for around $20.
Shane

I can only find the tight wad for the invector plus, Benelli/Beretta, and Remington in 20 gauge.... Am I missing something?

TrkyHntr

He's big enough to ride in my truck!

dawei

Quote from: wolverine107 on March 23, 2011, 06:07:05 PMI appreciate your response!!!!  By any chance do you know who makes a choke tube for this particular gun in the .570 range?  I'm new to the 20 gauge world!!!!!
Hunter Specialties® Undertaker® Pb choke is .572". The HTL choke they offer is .582"; cost is about $20.00.

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

wolverine107

I bought the HS Undertaker today at Gander for $19.99.  Going to buy a Primos Tight Wad as well and see which one works better with the Hevi-13 #7.

I see that Hevi Shot makes a choke tube for the Mossberg 500, does anyone have any experience with that tube??