North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling to Birds before the season.....

Started by FireDoc, March 22, 2011, 04:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you, or have you ever called Birds before the season started....

Nope, never have.
Used to, don't now.
Have, and still do.

FireDoc

So there's a thread on another Board I sometimes frequent in regards to practicing calling on live birds before the season opens. I am curious as to how many "Turkey Folk" (as I consider all of you) have done it, did it but not anymore, or never have. 

I am quite interested in how this pans out.

Thanks!  :icon_thumright:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

shad309

I do it on a game preserve year round and have learned tons. It's nice to walk out in the woods and carry on conversations with the birds.

I'm kinda leaning towards the thinking of Osceola. I know that I've had the same group of 7 gobblers come up 3 years in a row to the same set up, same location, they strut in from the same general area, & they prefer the same box call. I've called them in several weekends in a row and they keep coming back.

shootumindaface

Here is the same topic from a while back.. http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,772.0.html

Its about not letting them see an influx of predators in the woods not the calling.. I think people bumbling through the woods looking for droppings, scratchings and tracks cause more damage than a tactful preseason caller..

FireDoc

Thanks Tom! Searched but didn't find one. Going to go read it now!  :icon_thumright:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

FireDoc

You seem to be on the wrong side of the fence on this.  ;) :TooFunny:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

sugarray

I think I am going to do it at the state park.  It is closed to hunting and if I can get in there and strike a bird, I'll give it a try. Only lets you improve your calling.   I won't do it where I plan to hunt.

Shoregobbler

I am with you Sugarray, I do the same on County owned farm close to my house. The place is loaded with birds but no one can hunt it. Great place to go and practice set ups and calling. I too do not call on properties I hunt before the season starts. Probably would not hurt, I just don't do it.

GAbird

No need to educate them early.  Gotta make 'em wait for that "surprise" hen a.k.a 3.5" load of #6's

lmbhngr

Wow, Never heard anyone say turkeys are stupid. You must "tag out" every year? When my son was younger we used call to turkeys before the season to get an idea how many were in the area. He`s been very successful so far and we go hunt where we did our pre-season calling.

shootumindaface

Quote from: lmbhngr on March 22, 2011, 10:03:13 PM
Wow, Never heard anyone say turkeys are stupid. You must "tag out" every year? When my son was younger we used call to turkeys before the season to get an idea how many were in the area. He`s been very successful so far and we go hunt where we did our pre-season calling.
Turkeys are not smart.. They are scared or wary and they are stuck in their ways

Trevor2

STUPID???? Well I must be the most iggnorant mamall on earth bc I seem to get skunked at least once a year!!! To answer the question no I do not but have nothing against others doing so
Strutstopper

lmbhngr

Maybe we should make a dvd of "Osceola`s" hunts so we can all learn how to have better luck shooting these "stupid" birds. I don`t tag out every year and I usually hunt 75% of the month. I also will spend most of the season hunting one specific bird if he skunks me early.

StruttinGobbler3

I tend to agree with shootum on this, its all about a lack of pressure from predators. If you stumble through the woods cranking on a box call bumping birds left and right, then YES you will educate turkeys, in a sense. At the least, those birds will be more skittish com season. However, using tact and a little common sense, you can call before season without affecting things too much. As said, turkeys talk all day. Theres nothing wrong with hitting a call to locate birds scouting, but don't overdo it. Once one answers, make a mental note of where he is, shut up and slip out. Don't hurt a thing in my opinion, although I don't make a habit out of the practice. I've hunted most all of my farms all my life, so I usually know where they roost and hang out year to year. Really no need to call to them before season when I know right where to go come opening morning.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

TrackeySauresRex

I don't call to birds that I'll be hunting.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

lightsoutcalls

For those of us who are limited to public land, just finding a bird in a several thousand acre tract is quite a feat.  Throw in a bunch of goobers that like to call every 100 yards on their way down a road and you really have a challenge. 

If it weren't for a few contacts I have made over the years to hunt private land out of state, I would likely have quit trying by now.  I won't call to birds prior to season here, as I generally don't even hunt AR.  I don't have time to get out and scout for working a full time job, a part time job and making turkey calls.  Again, I owe a lot to the folks that are gracious enough to have me for a hunt each spring... that's why they end up with free calls each season.  ;)
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!