OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Quick, fold up blind advice.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 02, 2015, 09:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

As with anything else, I spend more time researching something than I will probably use it.

What should I look for in a quick, foldout blind?

Material, height, etc...

Would I be better off making my own from camo fabric and a few poles?

silvestris

Height, ease of setup and ease of carry"
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

northms

Height on most of them is going to be what you want.  Pretty even across the board.

Take a look at the area inside the blind and also at the windows.  I have a couple of blinds that aren't too expensive but they get the job done.  Only thing I don't like on them is the see-thru mesh windows have velcro adhesive.  Velcro is a no-no in the woods.  Drives me crazy.

Look for something with a zipper or sliding opening. 

deerbasshunter3

I was actually referring to the blinds that are just a strip of fabric with several poles. The kind you can just roll up and put in your pack.

born2hunt

If you are set on using one, a 12 dollar roll of that leafy blind material from Wally world and a few stakes like old carbon arrows or such will get ya going. Thats what I use with the kids when deer hunting.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

55esox

Not sure how far you walk in or what your situation is, but I would look at the type with the shock cord poles as they will fold to around 18" or so and fit well in your vest. If you get the longer non- foldable poles it might be harder to lug around.

K9Doc

Unfortunately, The Mad Max blind is really
Good. Has gun rest and quick to set up.
Hate buying their crap tho.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

Gamblinman

I bought a Double Bull shack attack, although cumbersome to carry, it opens in a snap. I can have it open and staked down in 1 minute now.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

TauntoHawk

mad max blind... just enough "cover" to hide running calls and a built in shooting rest. its nothing to carry either I can fit it inside a decoy bag

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

deerbasshunter3

I was going to get the Mad Max but it just doesn't seem like enough cover. I don't want to use a regular blind either because it is more trouble than I want to deal with in the pitch black dark of the morning.

I think I am going to go with the suggestion of getting the cheap blind material and making my own.

hookedspur

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on March 03, 2015, 07:15:42 PM
I was going to get the Mad Max but it just doesn't seem like enough cover. I don't want to use a regular blind either because it is more trouble than I want to deal with in the pitch black dark of the morning.

I think I am going to go with the suggestion of getting the cheap blind material and making my own.

PVC Pipe cut in half with the correct size PVC fitting glued to one piece makes it pretty portable as well.
14" pcs mount together and pack away easy as well.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

callmakerman

I've been using the roll up blind put out by HS for about 5 years now and love it plus it's under 20 bucks I think

born2hunt

Like I said thats what I use with the kids when deer hunting. It works pretty good, often I just hang it on existing trees if available and kinda encircle our chairs. But when Im alone I just use the sit still method. Having a gobbler strutting at 10 yards with nothing between you and him is just....well you'd just have to see it for yourself.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

TauntoHawk

How much cover do you need? Are you trying to cover multiple ppl hide you and camera equipment? Plan on hunting in the wide open?

For These you will need a bigger blind set up

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

deerbasshunter3

My plan for the blind is to sit in and amongst the brush on the edge of a field. Maybe even up against a tree on the edge of a field. I would like to have the blind in front of me for a little "insurance"