turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi gobbling?

Started by northms, March 02, 2015, 01:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

Anyone here hearing any birds yet?  I won't get to go until the 2nd weekend (March 21) but was wondering what y'all were hearing.  Been so cold and wet I can't imagine it's too much.

silvestris

I would expect very little gobbling in this cold, wet weather, but I am not going out there to find out.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

yelpaholic

sasquatch1

Haven't went listening yet, but, there's always one gobbling somewhere that wants to die!

northms

Been snowy and icy here lately even into central MS.

surehuntsalot

nothing going on here in central Ms.
birds are still grouped up together
I believe the season is going to be 2-3 weeks off, late spring
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

houser52

Sorry, I'm not in Miss. but I did see one strutting yesterday. My buddy told me that he saw one strutting 5 miles away in another cut soy bean field.

Gobbling can't be far behind.

Jbird22

The one thing about the weather here in MS is that it can go from Winter to Summer in two weeks time. I suspect that will be the case this year. Winter may be lingering but you can bet it's living on borrowed time now that March is here.

As for the og question, no, I haven't heard a thing but I haven't gone to listen either. You let the weather get right for a few days and it will turn on like a light switch!

K9Doc

Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

northms

Quote from: K9Doc on March 02, 2015, 11:31:56 PM
Ain't no turkeys in MS

You're right.  Heard a rumor one was heard gobbling a couple years back in my county.  :toothy12:

K9Doc

May need to check out PA. They got
Lots of birds. They eating Snowballs,
But they got em.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

FullChoke

I heard 2 gobbling their heads off on public land last Saturday morning. Well, at this point before season, gobbling 3 times between the 2 of them constitutes them tearing the woods up. Biggest problem is that the trees have not started budding at all. Not even the redbuds.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

J Hook Max

I've heard one turkey gobble on time here in Alabama about 75 miles Northeast of Mobile. Some trees are budding out. Saw some redbuds blooming in Mobile and also some azaleas. Dogwoods are only budding. Real warm here right now but another cold snap coming Thursday.
I'll be on the youth hunt Saturday. If they are gobbling, I'll post it here.

Blong

Heard 4 different gobblers tearing it up at Ouchita NF this weekend. Scratching everywhere on the north side of the lake!