OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blocking/Guarding birds

Started by born2hunt, March 01, 2015, 10:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Politely remind them that public land is just that, public, and go hunting.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

I run into the same thing on FLA WMA's and not during youth season. The guys go out ahead of time and hang ribbons with the dates of their hunts all over the place. I used to avoid such places until I finally found the same ribbons, with the same writing, all over the WMA, so the greedy guy could have a Plan A, B, C, D, etc. Then I monitored the ribbons, and saw no one at some of the spots the entire hunt. So now I just walk right by them and hunt where I want, and guess what? I usually never see anyone anyway.
But I agree with you. Anyone who tries to guard a bird, and screw a youth out of a great experience is a low life.
In FLA, most WMA's don't allow you in unless you have a permit. So there isn't any of the guarding stuff like that, unless it's an open WMA that doesn't require a permit.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 02, 2015, 01:49:07 PM
Politely remind them that public land is just that, public, and go hunting.
^^^THIS!!!!!

tha bugman

tha bugman

:TooFunny:
Quote from: guesswho on March 02, 2015, 11:46:12 AM
I'd just tell the guy he may want to have a plan B cause plan A may not be around next week.

mgm1955

bammerslammer 50

I agree anybody who trys to keep a kid from that experience is sorry. That being said I don't know if I could enjoy myself after that. I'd be afraid of returning to my truck with no windows or something like that. I had two guys walk past my truck and follow me into the woods during deer season. I ask them to please give me my space and pointed out how rude and inconsiderate they were being. Couldn't enjoy the woods for wondering if my truck was gonna be messed with or not. It wasnt though.

tomstopper

Quote from: Gobble! on March 02, 2015, 08:25:36 AM
Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 01, 2015, 11:18:41 PM
unload my stuff, walk right by them and go hunting

would not have hesitated.
This.... To act this way when one is taking a youth out to enjoy the outdoors and all that God has blessed us with is just plain sad. I hope people like that never harvest an animal of any kind ever again....

T-town

I'm with everyone else. Go hunt.

Fatbeard

Walk past them and call the local warden.
East TN Beard Buster

g8rvet

I had the flip side to this last year. Me and nephew were sitting and listening to a bird gobble-scouting on the youth weekend-on a huge open National Forest.  We had a father and 2 sons pull up and they started to head by us. I stuck my arm out window and stopped them. Asked if they had a bird penned up.  Guy looked at me funny and I said I was joking, did they know of a hot bird.  He said no and just as he did, the bird gobbled again.  His eyes lit up and he looked at me, like not knowing what to do. I said go get em!  He must have thanked me a dozen times before they left.  We sat and listened for a while, heard no boom, but still felt good about it.

If I had a young'un in tow, I would have just asked him where the kid was. If I thought he was lying, I would have hunted. 

Just another thought though. My son has Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy and one of the hallmarks is he must get his sleep. I have held a spot for him early where other folks hunting brought him later.  So sometimes we may not know the whole story.  Just don't assume the worst, just go up and speak to them.  usually works out fine. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

born2hunt

Thanks for the replies and as I figured I agree with all. Maybe we wont experience this on our hunt but if so I will handle it accordingly. Im out to get my little girl a bird and that crap aint working with me.

Quote from: g8rvet on March 02, 2015, 08:53:22 PM
I had the flip side to this last year. Me and nephew were sitting and listening to a bird gobble-scouting on the youth weekend-on a huge open National Forest.  We had a father and 2 sons pull up and they started to head by us. I stuck my arm out window and stopped them. Asked if they had a bird penned up.  Guy looked at me funny and I said I was joking, did they know of a hot bird.  He said no and just as he did, the bird gobbled again.  His eyes lit up and he looked at me, like not knowing what to do. I said go get em!  He must have thanked me a dozen times before they left.  We sat and listened for a while, heard no boom, but still felt good about it.

If I had a young'un in tow, I would have just asked him where the kid was. If I thought he was lying, I would have hunted. 

Just another thought though. My son has Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy and one of the hallmarks is he must get his sleep. I have held a spot for him early where other folks hunting brought him later.  So sometimes we may not know the whole story.  Just don't assume the worst, just go up and speak to them.  usually works out fine.
That is the attitude we all should have in the woods. I had thought about your other example as well. I could see an Uncle, Grandad or good friend locating a bird and sitting on a spot till the dad and kid arrived and I could probably swallow that and my buddy thought the same but these guys sat in their truck till 1:00 pm end of shooting hours.
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 02, 2015, 02:36:50 PM
I run into the same thing on FLA WMA's and not during youth season. The guys go out ahead of time and hang ribbons with the dates of their hunts all over the place. I used to avoid such places until I finally found the same ribbons, with the same writing, all over the WMA, so the greedy guy could have a Plan A, B, C, D, etc. Then I monitored the ribbons, and saw no one at some of the spots the entire hunt. So now I just walk right by them and hunt where I want, and guess what? I usually never see anyone anyway.
But I agree with you. Anyone who tries to guard a bird, and screw a youth out of a great experience is a low life.
In FLA, most WMA's don't allow you in unless you have a permit. So there isn't any of the guarding stuff like that, unless it's an open WMA that doesn't require a permit.
This was in Florida on a large non gated WMA that does require quotas to hunt but any vehicle access is allowed. With only 25-30 permits it should be a great hunt, but having to deal with this just aint right.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Wayne D Davis

If it were a general hunt or quota I'd walk right into the woods as planed. Being a adult/ child hunt I'd probably keep my child away from him and contact the DNR....and do that before he left the area
:smiley-char092:

762hunter

There really is no consideration here in Tn.
I had scouted out a few places for the juvi hunt and we got in nice and early to the spot, only to have 4 other groups come into our spot. 1 of which walked all the way into us with their flashlights and then started shining up in the trees looking for roosted birds.
I was mad at first but calmed myself down because it is public land and they had just as much right to be there as we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jason5.9

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 02, 2015, 02:36:50 PM

I love the ribbon hangers.  I pull them off and put them in my pocket when I see them.  Typically I will leave the reflectors alone because they probably mark tree stands.