turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blocking/Guarding birds

Started by born2hunt, March 01, 2015, 10:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2hunt

I was reading the recent post on hunting etiquette and thought I would get yalls opinions on this.

A couple years ago a guy I know took his daughter on a public land Youth hunt here in Florida. The particular hunt only allowed 25 permits for youth and 25 the following weekend for regular season. He knew the area very well and had several locations in mind. Well before light on the opening day he pulled into the first spot and there sat a guy in his truck saying he had a bird located. So my buddy drives off to plan B and runs into the same situation and moved on again. Any ways, they did end up hunting and working a bird, just didn't close the deal. But he said there were guys parked all over the woods (without kids) and guarding birds all morning, for their own hunt the following weekend. They were taking advantage of the "good ole etiquette" that allot of hunters have but ruining the hunt quality for the kids. It aggravated him so bad they didn't even hunt the second day. Now I will be taking my daughter to the same woods in 2 weeks for her first spring hunt and I cant say I would handle things as well as my buddy did. My blood gets boiling just thinking about it.

Before I even get your opinions on this I will say first that ANYONE who guards a roosted bird on a Youth hunt who is not participating in that hunt is a low down scum bag  PERIOD.

Now what are your thoughts on it and how could you see yourself reacting to the situation.   
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Roost 1

if they aren't hunting, I
Would ignore them and hunt.

alloutdoors

Gumby

Marc

Yeah...  That is just wrong...

If I did not see the kid, I would ask where the child was...  If the answer is "on the way," I might just answer, "well, mine is right here with me, and this is where we are going to hunt."

If the answer is "still sleeping in the tent," then they have a right to that spot/bird...

One thing I have noticed with junior hunts in waterfowl, is that the kids tend to leave the field early...  If you have a determined and enthusiastic child, I might plan on a full day hunt...

If you can camp or spend the night where you hunt, kids love sleeping outside or in the truck (far more than I do anyways).  And overnight trip could be a really good and fun idea...  Plus, if you don't have success for the early morning, you can come back to camp and eat, and try to drum up another bird...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

surehuntsalot

unload my stuff, walk right by them and go hunting
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

crappieangler

zelmo1

:fud: Take your daughter hunting. If you are not interfering with another youth hunter, you have every right to hunt there. The "grown ups" that block a childs hunt are as you described. Pay them no mind.

Bowguy

Gobble!

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 01, 2015, 11:18:41 PM
unload my stuff, walk right by them and go hunting

would not have hesitated.

jason5.9

key word, "Public Land" I wouldve waved and walked right on in.  Once I leave my truck no one knows exactly where I go in the woods and just because he located "A" bird dont mean thats the only bird in that area.

guesswho

I'd just tell the guy he may want to have a plan B cause plan A may not be around next week.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

870FaceLift

:angry9:

I've had that happen before multiple times.  I have also heard "I've hunted this spot for years and everyone around here knows it..."  Regardless, I just walk on and hunt. 
Pass it on...

Blong

Quote from: 870FaceLift on March 02, 2015, 11:55:55 AM

I've had that happen before multiple times.  I have also heard "I've hunted this spot for years and everyone around here knows it..."  Regardless, I just walk on and hunt.
Had he beat you to the area and was getting ready to hunt or were you there first? Harassment on public land is illegal, call the wma officer and get his tag#.

870FaceLift

Quote from: Blong on March 02, 2015, 12:01:15 PM
Quote from: 870FaceLift on March 02, 2015, 11:55:55 AM

Had he beat you to the area and was getting ready to hunt or were you there first? Harassment on public land is illegal, call the wma officer and get his tag#.

He was gearing up in one of the seldomely used WMA parking lots smoking a cigarette.  Neither of us were in the woods yet.  I've since talked to others in the area and have heard that he does this sort of thing often.  He's just trying to intimidate people he doesn't know.  I think we all know the type...
Pass it on...