turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

anyone use a gps for scouting

Started by jg, March 01, 2015, 10:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg

thinking i may buy one but I dont know the first thing about any particular one or features that may be best to mark areas I hear turkeys, dust bowls etc...any advice would be greatly appreciated
Ozark beard busters

Gumby

Google maps app and a smartphone is all you need

jg

even without cell service? area I hunt is very remote
Ozark beard busters

turkaholic

I have been using GPS for turkey hunting for a long time now. I have a Garmin 60cs and love it. I down load all my data from the gps to google earth and it shows all my waypoints. It also shows your tracks and puts down the actual path that you walked. Very useful for scouting. This time of year with cabin fever coming on you can fly around your areas looking for structure like fields, clearings, ridge lines, even strut zones. I hunted an area in NY and drove by massive farm land hidden by massive trees and never knew it was there until I flew around and marked it. The GPS is a tool like no other, I can"t tell you how many birds I have killed because of it. Where I hunt there is thousands of acres of state land. The gps makes getting around and knowing where you are a breeze. No more guessing how far the truck is, or how close you are to another spot. It also keeps you sitting quiet a little longer because your looking at it. I highly recommend it.
live to hunt hunt to live

jason5.9

I just started using one last season.  I like the Garmin Etrek.  Its cheap and hunter friendly, I can use all the buttons with heavy gloves on in the winter.  AA batteries to run it which we all have plenty of.   It has markers built in that you can drop and rename to whatever you want.  It doesnt stores the data you input on the unit itself where Cell phone GPS apps store data on the "Cloud"   

I have been saved once already by mine hunting in a new place.  I kept walking and walking, I knew that logging road I walked in on was just over the next hump...  Pulled out the gps and sure enough I was 1/2 mile off and walking the wrong direction.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Gumby on March 01, 2015, 11:10:15 PM
Google maps app and a smartphone is all you need

I use Google earth like my accountant uses a caclcuator.  Note to the wise.  Print copies of your hunting area and store them in your vest.  Used with a topo map and you have an invaluable tool that is second only to your gun.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Most smartphones have a dedicated GPS receiver these days, so cell tower access isn't needed.  But I much prefer my Garmin.  Using the GPS drains my iPhone battery pretty quickly and I have topo maps stored on it.

tha bugman

I use it for everything!  I don't leave home without it!   :toothy12:

mgm1955

g8rvet

It is really helpful to have the satellite maps on it preloaded.  It helped us figure out why a bird was doing what he was doing and let us get ahead of him before he slipped out to the private land - again.  Also lets me know where the property lines are on a private piece I hunt because there are no fences along the line-the only fence is a couple hundred yards on the next property line.  I never knew that until I took my GPS down in the swamp with me. I was trespassing and did not know it. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Spring Creek Calls

The GPS comes in very handy, especially on out of state trips.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

jg

think i will start looking at reviews on them, mostly interested in somthing that will let me mark spots and show me an easier way through the hills to other marked spots,ozarks are nothing but steep hollers and ridge tops
Ozark beard busters

born2hunt

I take mine every time I go to the woods regardless of season, whether I know the land or not. I never know when I might stumble into a treestand location or a heavily used roost site that I will want to revisit.
The problem is that GPSs seem to be like all other electronics, the best this year is old school next year. I have had a  Garmin 60csx for a few years now and its served me very well, it does most every thing I need except sat views. Simple and reliable, but the next year they came out with even better models with bigger screens.  There are some strong brands to choose from and Garmin has a lot to offer.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Marc

I use a cheap, portable GPS to locate hunting areas, and mark areas with bird activity...  This can be invaluable for finding a specific spot for duck hunting, or a specific tree while off the beaten path in the dark...

I have used it to mark areas where I see quail or pheasant running around as well.

I also use it to mark my vehicle in some areas I hunt, as my sense of direction includes up and down (if I am lucky).

I use Google Maps to mark roads and turn-offs to hunting areas (especially if I have not been to the area many times before).

All of that being said, I severely under-utilize the possible uses of a GPS for both hunting and fishing.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

strut2

I use one quite a bit! I use it a lot on out of state trips and also use it when hunting areas I'm not familiar with. I have used it when roosting birds in the evening. It can be very handy!