turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Maple and persimmon strikers

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 01, 2015, 03:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

Who likes a maple or persimmon striker. While at it , what about a Osage. What surfaces do you like to run them on. I have never really used them but decided to order these in a piece and try them out.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

I got a Osage with a big flare tip that's got a real nice deep natural tone to it
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gooserbat

I run a lot of persimmon.  Tends to be a bit throaty, and has a good bite on the call when playing.  It's one of my favorites.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

DBRANNON

I have an osage striker from Jerry White that is pretty good. Very clear on the front end of the yelp and raspy as well. I use it on slate and aluminum. The perimmon stirker I have from Fred Cox will give you that throaty old hen rasp. Ive only used it on a slate call.
Patience, grasshopper.

Jbird22

Persimmon is one of my favorites on slate! It's tough to beat on a Hot Hen. Osage is good on crystal, aluminum, and copper. I don't recall running it on slate but I'm sure it'll run just fine on it. As for maple, never tried it.

EDIT: Ran may Dad's Osage on my slates earlier and it ran fine on them. I don't like it as much as Persimmon or Canarywood but it would call one in all day long.

Stump.270

Persimmions on slate is my favorite

sbbow

Quote from: Stump.270 on March 01, 2015, 05:17:49 PM
Persimmions on slate is my favorite

X2 or dogwood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jblackburn

Persimmon on glass is one of my favorites, good on slate, too.  Osage on glass or aluminum will scream, i like it for windy days.

never ran maple, that I know of
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

perrytrails

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 01, 2015, 04:14:40 PM
I run a lot of persimmon.  Tends to be a bit throaty, and has a good bite on the call when playing.  It's one of my favorites.

Couldn't have said it better, throaty and bites. Runs with little pressure.

I just recently got a Halloran one piece persimmon and it's the best I've run on Crystal and slate.

Jgarrett

Run a Harold fowler persimmon on my hot hen, also his 2 piece Osage/Purple Heart on it as well
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

hunter22

Persimmon and Dogwood are my favorite two woods to use on slate calls.