Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Only having four or five days a season to hunt.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 01, 2015, 02:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Am I the only one who will have as little as four or five days to hunt this season?

For those of you in the same boat as me, how do you deal with only having a few days to hunt?

Does it change the way you would hunt if you had all season?

Gobble!

If I could only hunt 4-5 days I would be very aggressive.

Spitten and drummen

It's better than none , but I would be devastated. I would scout as much as I could and find as many birds as I could. On the days I hunted , I would constantly be moving from place to place trying to find those 2 year old kamakizi birds.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

eddie234

I normally only get weekends, luckily I get Sundays to. That's 7 days, season ends on a Saturday . Don't seem like a lot when you see guys posting about going to different states and Hunting for months. If you have to scout or if you know where the turkeys are I'd spend as much time in the woods as I could. I know some guys that are back home by 8 or 9 am if they can't get one on the roost they quit. I stay till I have too be out of the woods. I'd do what you normally would. Being confident can go a long way.

Hooter

silvestris

If I only had one day to hunt, I would hunt the same as if I had fifty.  It's not like you have to kill him.  It is enough to hunt him on his terms.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Rapscallion Vermilion

I am planning for about 12 days of turkey hunting this year, split between New Mexico, Massachusetts, and Kansas.  For me it means getting out to my spots real early (before anyone else) and hunting as much of the day as I legally and physically can.  Beyond that, I don't think it would be that different if I had 30 days, with the exception that I know of a couple of hard to hunt gobblers that have been in the same area for at least three years now.  If I had more days, I would love to spend more time going after those toms.

TauntoHawk

I generally only get 4-6 days to hunt NY with the most I've ever got up there at 9 days. Fortunately We've got great places and I've never had an issue filling both tags and calling a few for others most years. I have to hunt any weather when I'm there and I guess you could say I hunt aggressive but I just consider it just turkey hunting and as long as I'm Mobile I won't be a sit and wait all day bird hunter.

My home state of pa I'll spend a few days hunting public when I can and I've never filled both tags, lack of private access makes it tough and I'm happy to usually get one down.

I get maybe a dozen total days in the field. Mostly weekends.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

silvestris

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 01, 2015, 07:10:42 PM
If I had more days, I would love to spend more time going after those toms.

It is none of my business, but we're I you, I would hunt one of the old men with the mindset that I could not hurry him and would have to kill him on turkey time.  It is just as likely that a two year old will walk up and ruin your plan before he gets there anyway.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Marc

Quote from: silvestris on March 01, 2015, 06:56:41 PM
If I only had one day to hunt, I would hunt the same as if I had fifty. 

I agree.  Every day I go hunting, I do so with the intention of killing a bird...  Not necessarily the expectation, but certainly the intention. ;D

I will say, if I know I am going to hunt an area again, there have been times when I have left birds alone that I would go after if I only had one day though...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Quackwacker NC

I'm gonna get a few days this yr to hunt being my first baby girl is due April 22 our season opens the 11th of April and close about the same time in May

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Quackwacker NC on March 01, 2015, 11:10:57 PM
I'm gonna get a few days this yr to hunt being my first baby girl is due April 22 our season opens the 11th of April and close about the same time in May

Congratulations! I enjoy deer hunting more than anything in this world, but when I had to miss the last month of deer season in 2013 because my daughter was due on Dec. 28, and born on December 10, I didn't even give the deer a second thought. I ended my season on the last day of November so I was sure to be home in case she came early. I can promise you, you will not even be thinking of turkey hunting come April 11.

mudhen

Better than nothing!

I've had some short seasons, and they turned out fine....

Hunt hard.  Make any shot count!

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

dejake

I'll have about 14 total days to hunt three different states.  if I had all season to hunt, I would be more selective in what I kill.  One state, I only have one day; I'll take the first two year old i can get an opportunity on.

2eagles

I always hunt our first Iowa season which is only four days long. And I most always hunt public ground. My advice..... Hunt in an area you know has turkeys. You need to know there birds for confidence. Get in the area very early - be first one in. Hunt all day if legal. Last year first day snowed and didnt see or hear a bird, but I knew they were around. Second day I shot my bird at 6:35 PM. Hit'm hard!