turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question about fed heavyweight

Started by LARRYHAYNES, February 28, 2015, 10:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARRYHAYNES

I've never shot this shell and don't really plan on it bc I like my setup with hevi 7s. But I was wondering the reason behind not shooting them with a ported choke. If that's even true I don't know but I do know I've heard a lot of negative things about the flight control wad. Thanks for any input.
LARRY

Gobble!

The idea behind the Flight Control Wad was to make a shell that could be used with factory choke tubes. The wad is designed to stay with the shot where most of today turkey chokes, containing ports and wad stripping properties, are designed to strip the wad from the shot which forces the shells to do what they were not intended for. That is what causes all the bad patterns and bad reviews you hear. When shot with the right choke they can produce very effective patterns. Not high pellet counts but effective patterns none the less due to the shot density, 15g/cc compared to hevis 12g/cc. 

LARRYHAYNES

Good explanation Gobble!  Thanks. I may try some out after all in my mossberg choke
LARRY

Gobble!

TruLock and Rob Roberts also make chokes designed for the Ferderal shells.

Gooserbat

I and some of my friends shoot them and the Rob Roberts, Trulock, and Wrights chokes are the ticket with these shells.  Also Sumtoy can put together a choke that will preform as well and they and Trulock have got it down for the HW #7 in a 20 ga.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

walk20

gooser what numbers are u gettting with that choke im shooting a ssx in youth 20 with fed heavy 7s

Gooserbat

I don't shoot a 20 however I've talked to those who do and get told of 120-140 patterns.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Sako358

Federal HW #5 is My main load for long range Gobblers. 
Run & Gun: Benelli SBE 2, Trijicon RMR, IC .710, Hevi 13 #5 Zero 30 yds
Blind Gun:  Benelli SBE 2, Leupold 1.5x5 Circle Dot, Trulock .665, Federal HW #5 Zero 40 yds
Field Gun: Benelli Super Nova, Leupold 6x42, Harris Bipod, IC .670, Federal HW #5 Zero 50 yds

DirtNap647

K9Doc

Unless it was 60 yards it's too thin a pattern
For my taste.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

decoykrvr

IMO, anytime, at any range, that you have a pattern which exhibits "golf ball" size holes in the core, you have a potential crippling, rather than killing, pattern.  I too, wouldn't hunt with that choke/load combination.

jordanz7935

Yea i tried the HW #5s in 3.5 and just couldnt get a good hunting pattern. Then i looked @ a chart in the federal catalog and realized the 3.5 #5 HW load only had like 230 pellets. Thats about the same pellet count of a 20ga 3" #5 lead turkey load.IMO, # 5 HW are too much for a gobbler and more usefull as a goose load. IMO, HW #7 is the ticket in all gauges, if you can get them to pattern well for you.

Sako358

Quote from: Dirt nap on March 05, 2015, 06:06:58 AM
how far was that shot sako
Hi dirt nap, over the past 5 years I have patterned over 40 Hevi 13 & Fed HW loads in 3 guns & 7 chokes.  All have been patterned at 30, 50 & 70 Yds.
I have several Fed HW #5 50 yd patterns with 75% - 85% in a 20" Circle. 

Not that I would ever shoot at a Gobbler that far. <g>
Run & Gun: Benelli SBE 2, Trijicon RMR, IC .710, Hevi 13 #5 Zero 30 yds
Blind Gun:  Benelli SBE 2, Leupold 1.5x5 Circle Dot, Trulock .665, Federal HW #5 Zero 40 yds
Field Gun: Benelli Super Nova, Leupold 6x42, Harris Bipod, IC .670, Federal HW #5 Zero 50 yds

jordanz7935

I wouldnt shoot HW through an indian creek. It took about 4 shots through the Indian Creek i had with federal HW #5s to wreck it. It didnt swell but it really wrecked the wad stoppers on the inside of the choke. This was probably 5 yrs ago and they gladly replaced my choke but shortly thereafter they started warning against using any FCW ammo. So they arent warrantied with those shells nowadays.

LARRYHAYNES

Quote from: Gobble! on February 28, 2015, 11:16:38 PM
The idea behind the Flight Control Wad was to make a shell that could be used with factory choke tubes. The wad is designed to stay with the shot where most of today turkey chokes, containing ports and wad stripping properties, are designed to strip the wad from the shot which forces the shells to do what they were not intended for. That is what causes all the bad patterns and bad reviews you hear. When shot with the right choke they can produce very effective patterns. Not high pellet counts but effective patterns none the less due to the shot density, 15g/cc compared to hevis 12g/cc.

Exactly why your shouldn't use an IC
LARRY