OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Getting backend rasp on a pot

Started by Spitten and drummen, February 28, 2015, 10:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I find when I am hammering out yelps on a pot call , I get good hard rollover rasp. However when I tone it down I can't get that good nasally backend rasp. It rolls over , but it's a clear roll over. I was wanting any tips on how to get a good 2 note raspy yelp when calling softly. Thanks
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

WillowRidgeCalls

It's not in the calls sound, it's in the way your playing it, extend the back end of your j-hook a little more down into the call a little deeper.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Spitten and drummen

Appreciate it. I'm going to try that.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

drum817

Also maybe try lighter striker pressure.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

WillowRidgeCalls

You can also change from your oval or j-hooks to a straight line (45 angle) down into the call. That will take a lot of the high pitched start out of your yelps and produce a more raspier yelp.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

sbbow

Good to know something new to try. Good post spitten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunter22

It's all about striker pressure and angle for me.

Spitten and drummen

Appreciate all the resonses. Keepem coming. All these replies will help a lot of people.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

TauntoHawk

I tend to start the J with more pressure for the high portion and use the "rollover" to cue me to take some pressure off this adds rasp on the finish.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bigspurs68

Not only your striker pressure, as mentioned above, but your striker hold effects things dramatically. For softer yelping, depending on the call surface and the striker, I hold with either a pinch between the side of my middle finger and thumb or occasionally pinched between my index and thumb. Almost never have 3 finger contact.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

gobbler336

might wanna try a few more different calls, some are just so much easier to accomplish your goal with than others

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on March 01, 2015, 04:10:56 PM
Not only your striker pressure, as mentioned above, but your striker hold effects things dramatically. For softer yelping, depending on the call surface and the striker, I hold with either a pinch between the side of my middle finger and thumb or occasionally pinched between my index and thumb. Almost never have 3 finger contact.

You are very correct hand placement is a huge role..I played and played around with hand placement after season was over last year.

I couldn't believe how little movement would change the sound the call would produce.

BEARD HUNTER

When a Turkey is ready to commit suicide you can't stop him.

mgm1955

Quote from: drum817 on March 01, 2015, 01:00:46 PM
Also maybe try lighter striker pressure.
:agreed:.Asked some great callers at Nashville the same question and they told me to lighten the pressure as you finished your stroke. Good luck!