turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey hunting etiquette 101

Started by Blong, February 28, 2015, 09:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blong

Here is what I was taught by my mentors a long time ago, may not be right but it is the way most do it down here.
1. Never go in on someone working a bird
2. If there is a truck nearby, keep moving.
3. You can only be given a turkey to hunt by the guy who has been hunting him. Never hunt the bird that he unveiled to you without his consent.

What are some self governed rules you use?

dirt road ninja

Follow the golden rule. Do on to others as you would have done to you.

Blong

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 28, 2015, 09:25:52 PM
Follow the golden rule. Do on to others as you would have done to you.
Bingo!

hobbes

Your rules about cover it.  It's the yahoos that don't follow those that can ruin a hunt. 

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: hobbes on February 28, 2015, 09:46:37 PM
Your rules about cover it.  It's the yahoos that don't follow those that can ruin a hunt.
and with the growing numbers of wanna be turkey hunters , I find I run into this type more and more.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gooserbat

Only thing left to mention, is its only polite to stand on his head after you halfway shot it off.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

West Augusta

I've had people sneak between me and a gobbler I was working and let me call it to him.  He got the bird.
I've had people pull up in a car and owl hoot a bird I was working into the ground.  That bird gobbled himself out. 

You were taught well.  These two weren't
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mgm1955

Quote from: hobbes on February 28, 2015, 09:46:37 PM
Well said!

Hooksfan

Quote from: Blong on February 28, 2015, 09:23:54 PM
Here is what I was taught by my mentors a long time ago, may not be right but it is the way most do it down here.
1. Never go in on someone working a bird
2. If there is a truck nearby, keep moving.
3. You can only be given a turkey to hunt by the guy who has been hunting him. Never hunt the bird that he unveiled to you without his consent.

What are some self governed rules you use?
I'd say you pretty much summed it up as to the ones I was brought up with. In more recent times, I might add this one: Don't get on an internet forum and ask specific questions about where to kill a turkey or name exact locations on public areas where you may have found birds.

fenderhunt4

Well said. Wish these were posted on everyone's turkey tag. Not that the guys who do those things would abide by them anyway. Common courtesy and common sense seems to be fading.

zelmo1

:fud: Got cut off opening day last year by a pair of youngins. I worked the bird into them and they killed it. I was mad but moved on. They knew I was there and didn't care. My kids would get a verbak whoopin from me and they would stay home for the rest of the season. Do what you think is right. You have to live with yourself. Only my 2 cents.

paboxcall

Hunt and respect the ground with the same you'd expect from others.  Occasionally you will be disappointed.

Quote from: West Augusta on February 28, 2015, 10:10:12 PM
I've had people sneak between me and a gobbler I was working and let me call it to him.  He got the bird.

Had that happen my first year hunting, guy crawled in between us and the approaching gobbler at day break, never made a sound while we called.  About ten minutes after fly down, BOOM - about 70 yards away.  Guy gets up runs to the turkey and then takes off running down the ridge to his vehicle. 

Wonder if he was proud of that. ::)
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

contagious

What is this etiquette you speak of ?  Back in the day yes, now, not so much.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BowBendr

Just a general sign of the lack of character that exist in a lot of people these days.

I agree, all the rules above should be printed on your license....so I can chew your arse out when you break them.

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

Blong

:toothy9:
Quote from: contagious on March 03, 2015, 03:54:28 PM
What is this etiquette you speak of ?  Back in the day yes, now, not so much.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you saying that you used to use it but not so much anymore because others have no respect?