turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Should I get a 20 gauge?

Started by houser52, February 28, 2015, 08:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houser52

I've used a 12 gauge for just about everything for the last 45 years and have taken a lot of game with the 12. I really never thought about using a 20 gauge for turkeys but after reading about all you guys using the 20 for turkeys, it got me to thinking about one. I always thought a 20 was for kids, women and old people but it sure looks like I was wrong.

The patterns you all are getting are as good or better than my 12. Combine good patterns with a short lightweight gun sure has got me struggling with the idea of getting one before opening day this April.

Could you guys post the pros and cons of using a 20 gauge instead of a 12? Does the effective range suffer any?

I have already searched and read a ton of stuff on here but any additional info would be appreciated.

g8rvet

I'll let you know after this year.  All I know is that I was tired of getting beat on during patterning by my 12 gauge, so I went looking on here about 20s.  The numbers they were getting were impressive.  I also happened to be getting a youth model 20 ready for my daughter.  After thoroughly enjoying shooting it and getting it ready for her, I decided I was ready and made the purchase.  I have it all tuned in now and can't wait to kill a gobbler.  It has better numbers than my 870 12 and shoots like a pop gun.  Short and easy to hold on target.  I can't wait to shoot one.  I probably should have just got a youth 870, but I wanted a toy and chose the SA-450 Weatherby.  My pattern pics are on the 20 gauge pattern forum
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

houser52

Thanks for the reply. With all the views and no responses I was about to think nobody liked their 20.

I got to handle a Remington 870 youth at Walmart. It had wooden stocks and I think the stock it was a little shorter than the compact model. I haven't been able to locate a 870 compact model locally I can look at or any other small 20 gauge gun either. I'd like to see something else besides a 870 so I can compare them. I'll check out the Weatherby.

DocHolliday

Of course you should! Unless you plan to only shoot lead, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to shoot a 12 unless you want to. Get the 20 and some Federal HW #7's, a more open choketubes than you think, and pattern the hell out of it. You will be amazed. Magblends work well too. If you handload, the world is your oyster. I've killed birds way out there. Actually further than I ever killed w/ my 12, so no your range won't be compromised by the 20.

reynolds243

Weight is the man advantage and that's a nice one if you cover some ground. I split the season between a 12 and a 20 and plan on using the 20 more this year actually

Proverbs 3:5
"Trust in the lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding"

Sent from my phone because I'm that cool

3bailey3

Yes, i love my M-2, its light and no recoil and patterns great. i wish i had made the switch long ago

houser52

Yes, I have already discovered the wonders of Hevi #7s out of my 12 gauge 870. It started out as one with an 18" barrel and I had it threaded so I could use chokes. I tried several custom chokes but never did find one that performed like I wanted it to. Then I put a 23" barrel on it combined with a .650 Sumtoy and it performs great however the lighter weight and handiness is still not there.

With that said, yes the lighter weight would be nice on the long walks to and from the area that I hunt and that's what I'm interested in.

surehuntsalot

been using my 870 youth for several years now, no need for a 12 anymore
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dawei

Been using a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga since 2000. I shoot Winchester® Supreme® 1 5/16oz 1200fps #4 Pb (#STH2034) through a Swarm™ .555" choke. I'll never go back to a 12ga.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

g8rvet

I put one of the slip over limbsaver recoil pads on the youth 870 and it fits my daughter just fine (she liked it better than no extra pad). She is 5'4" and liked it fine. I could shoot it all day long too. 

When my son used it as a duck gun, I shot his youth 870 at the skeet range and did fine with it.  Just had to concentrate on keeping my head down.  Once you get used to it, it will become automatic to keep your head down on it. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

houser52

Thanks for all the opinions.
I've about decided on getting one and the 870 Express Compact might suit me just fine. With a 21" barrel, an OAL of 40.5" and a weight of 6 pounds, sounds pretty good.

I found one in stock online with camo stocks for a pretty good price. Even with the transfer fee it is cheaper than the black stock model that I found locally. The only negative I saw on the 870 Express was it being prone to rust. I don't know if Remington has that problem corrected or not but I'll probably Krylon the receiver and barrel anyway.

I'm kinda getting excited about the season which opens in about 5 weeks and the thought of a new gun makes it even better.

Red Huck

I got the Weatherby Sa-8. Shot doves and quail with it. Got a sumtoy choke to shoot the fed heavy 7s/ Got a good pattern consistently  to 35yrds. Don't  know if I'll hunt with this year or not.

Izzyjoe

You should get a 20, every man needs a 20ga! I've not tried it yet, but my boss swears by frog lube, he's used it duck hunting last year, and his shotgun has not rusted since!

houser52

I'm a little closer to ordering the 870 Camo Compact.
I called Remington and got the correct item number to be sure I ordered the right one. I also asked the CS lady about the rusting problem. She told me that she had been there over two years and had only several complaints and they were about the barrel rusting. Nothing about the receiver.
I also contacted the local FFL to be sure he could do the transfer. Come to find out he's just down the street from me. That's convenient.

Quote from: Izzyjoe on March 02, 2015, 09:47:19 PM
You should get a 20, every man needs a 20ga! I've not tried it yet, but my boss swears by frog lube, he's used it duck hunting last year, and his shotgun has not rusted since!

I've read a little about Frog Lube on some of the handgun forums I visit and I've not seen any bad reviews on it. They all claim it's the stuff.

g8rvet