OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best turkey hunters are from

Started by dirt road ninja, February 28, 2015, 08:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busta biggun

I know everybody has their preferences, and strong feelings on certain issues. I am really not trying to spoil people's fun, but why does every post seem to come down to whether or not to use a blind or a decoy? I get the fact that there are those that do not want to use either but it seems that many folks too often get wrapped around the axle over these issues and take on an air of superiority over those that do not hunt the way that they choose to hunt. I would never sneak a turkey and won't shoot a bird unless I can call it in, but I don't think somebody else is a lesser hunter if they want to sneak. I don't shoot a bow for turkeys, but I respect those that do want to. Can we please get over ourselves with all of the elite attitudes of what is the "better" way to hunt. If it is legal and ethical, that should be good enough.

Blong

Quote from: busta biggun on March 05, 2015, 02:30:08 PM
I know everybody has their preferences, and strong feelings on certain issues. I am really not trying to spoil people's fun, but why does every post seem to come down to whether or not to use a blind or a decoy? I get the fact that there are those that do not want to use either but it seems that many folks too often get wrapped around the axle over these issues and take on an air of superiority over those that do not hunt the way that they choose to hunt. I would never sneak a turkey and won't shoot a bird unless I can call it in, but I don't think somebody else is a lesser hunter if they want to sneak. I don't shoot a bow for turkeys, but I respect those that do want to. Can we please get over ourselves with all of the elite attitudes of what is the "better" way to hunt. If it is legal and ethical, that should be good enough.
Because the bird deserves more respect than this.

busta biggun

Well that is your opinion. I doubt very much you will ever convince me that the way you hunt respects birds and my way doesn't. Maybe we need to start a special website for you elite hunters who don't use decoys or blinds. That way you won't be bogged down with all of the riffraff who see no problem with hunting that way. People like Shannon, who started this website. I seem to recall him using decoys.

gobbler777

For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

busta biggun

My intentions are not to stir the pot. My intention is to try to talk about turkey hunting, not hear who feels like they are superior to others. If I am off base for trying to avoid establishing hierarchies of importance of hunters, I will gladly move along.

RodneyHill

South Alabama and South Georgia some of the toughest birds to hunt. Kill one in that region and anywhere else in the US is gonna be easier. Rich traditions down here and good call makers.

Struthunter

Quote from: Blong on February 28, 2015, 09:03:30 PM
The southeast definetly, Al,La,Ms,Ga,Sc,Fl. You dont see many oos hunters visiting these states to hunt unless they are from one of them. I have hunted easterns in Mo,NC, and Tn and though they are easterns, they are not the same bird we hunt down here. If you can get it done in the 6 I named, you can kill one anywhere! Should be called the Dixie Slam.
Ill 2nd that and the Dixie Slam

ridgerunner

That's a hard one...I've met dang good turkey hunters from all over North America..There's guys who hunt turkey......and then there are " Turkey Hunter's"...Every State has both...lot's of good hunters in the South and many in the Midwest, East , West and North....Just like custom call maker's many good one's from all over the Country..good calls are good calls.....and dead birds are dead birds.

Hillbilly yelper

Dedication is strong in West Virginia! With all the hills and valleys it's hard to detect were that bird really is! Next thing you know your climbing mountains that you have to hold roots and trees to pull yourself up and when you walk back down the other side your toes cramp up in your boots! Thank God my wife will massage out the cramps in my calves from climbing these mountains at the end of my turkey hunting days! Lol! Southern West Virgina turkeys make ya work! On a second note, once you get on top of that mountain, your breathing so hard, you put your hands on your knees and get dizzy, seeing stars then ya fall and roll back down the mountain again! You would think with all the trees you would hit one.....but no...you roll all the way back down....scattering your calls everywhere!
Tim
New email: lmurdock@k12.wv.us

ridgerunner

Quote from: Hillbilly yelper on March 06, 2015, 08:49:40 PM
Dedication is strong in West Virginia! With all the hills and valleys it's hard to detect were that bird really is! Next thing you know your climbing mountains that you have to hold roots and trees to pull yourself up and when you walk back down the other side your toes cramp up in your boots! Thank God my wife will massage out the cramps in my calves from climbing these mountains at the end of my turkey hunting days! Lol! Southern West Virgina turkeys make ya work! On a second note, once you get on top of that mountain, your breathing so hard, you put your hands on your knees and get dizzy, seeing stars then ya fall and roll back down the mountain again! You would think with all the trees you would hit one.....but no...you roll all the way back down....scattering your calls everywhere!

lol...that sounds like punishment...I climbed the hills of Missouri and Kentucky chasing birds...not to mention the hills and hollars all over the Midwest..but that climbing mountains and rolling back down the other side would take the fun out of it..especially if you lose a turkey call in the process.

Hillbilly yelper

Tim
New email: lmurdock@k12.wv.us

LittleJennyHen

Quote from: Hillbilly yelper on March 06, 2015, 08:49:40 PM

We've had some doozies!!!!! It makes the story of the hunt all that much better though..... Ol' Mountain Mama can be mean!!

Ihuntoldschool

Southeast. Hard to prove one Southeastern state over another. Lots of good turkey hunters in all of them. I do give Alabama some extra credit though for showing respect to the bird the longest, compared to the other states.

I agree the "True Turkey Hunters" are the best and deserve the most respect for the way that they respect the bird and hunt on fair terms. No blinds, decoys, and lead only.

jlawson382

Not my house, that's for sure...  :OGani:

LaLongbeard

I can tell where the worst Turkeyhunters are from louisiana
I hate to say it because I'm from La but after hunting states like Alabama
Mississippi ,Georgia there's a marked difference. Most La Turkey hunters are hacks that go out the first weekend or so and scrape on a boxcall while standing next to there running truck then drive off, or squawk on a mouth call they bought 2 days before the season. I know there are great Turkey hunters in the state but they are very rare. I always get a good laugh opening day at some of the Nimrods and there attempts at hunting. I think the problem is we don't have a heritage of turkey hunting when my grandpa was a boy there was no turkeys and few deer La was and still is way behind on there wildgame mgt. when states like Al. Miss were trapping and releasing turkey in the 50's and 60's La was doing nothing that's why today there states have several times more birds than we do. Sorry to rant but I just read 2 posts on the La site one was asking if he could bait turkeys and the other was wanting to know what kind of Turkeys we have in La and what they look like ??? This same moron will be in the woods in 2 weeks with a loaded gun!! ......Y'all pray for me .
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?