OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best turkey hunters are from

Started by dirt road ninja, February 28, 2015, 08:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alloutdoors

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 02, 2015, 11:59:49 AM
The guy that tags out every year in Alaska is the best.
I heard that guy got his grand slam without ever leaving the state, had to start his calling in October to get the Osceola there by spring...

BowBendr

Been in the guiding business for a long time, and whether it's deer or turkey, redneck boys from down south are just flat out killas'....

Sent from Gobblers Knob, NC

K9Doc

I guess no one has ever hunted with any
Of my buddies from AR and MS.
If you can consistently kill birds on Public ground in either
State, you are a good turkey hunter.
That being said; I know 3 guys, hunted 10 states in 30
Days last year between them, and 75 gobblers
Harvested.
That's STRONG
Oh. They were from AR, AR, MS.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

ericjames

Quote from: warrent423 on March 01, 2015, 02:32:59 PM
Seems their are fewer and fewer true "Turkey Hunters" each year, at least what I would consider turkey hunters. Any man that can consistently sit down against a tree and call highly pressured, "educated" turkeys to within  40 yards of the gun, and kill them, deserves respect in my book. No blinds, no decoys, no gimmicks, and no long range guns or shells. I don't pay much attention to those who can't. To each their own though.

This is what I consider a turkey hunter.

K9Doc

Quote from: ericjames on March 02, 2015, 11:33:12 PM
Seems their are fewer and fewer true "Turkey Hunters" each year, at least what I would consider turkey hunters. Any man that can consistently sit down against a tree and call highly pressured, "educated" turkeys to within  40 yards of the gun, and kill them, deserves respect in my book. No blinds, no decoys, no gimmicks, and no long range guns or shells. I don't pay much attention to those who can't. To each their own though.

Now that's well put.  :z-winnersmiley:
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

perrytrails

I don't see how you could pick one certain state.

A Turkey is a turkey, doesn't matter what state he was hatched in. Doesn't make him any harder to hunt other than terrain., weather conditions and where they are at in their breeding cycle at the time your hunting them, along with  human pressure.

Anybody who can hunt public ground year after year, and consistently take mature birds gets my vote for the best turkey hunters.

They are the toughest birds to take. They hear it all, see more hunters, and adapt to it.

There are really good turkey hunters everywhere you go, but I give the edge to guys that can get it done consistently  on public ground.

J Hook Max

Of course, we are from South Alabama. Just kidding.
There really are some really good turkey hunters in the Deep South states. That is mostly from having turkeys to hunt for the last 60 or 70 years.
I do a lot of guiding and I have been out with not just Yankees but with some Damn Yankees who were very good turkey hunters and callers.
I have hunted the Ozarks a good bit and there are some killers there too. Basically, there are good hunters and bad hunters everywhere. But also, there is no substitute for experience.

RussM311

Not sure what state it would be....but I have to think the best turkey hunters would be the ones from the state with the fewest birds, but still consistently score.... year in and year out. My daughter's brother in law in Morton, MS was the absolute best turkey hunter I have ever known....but there again, he was blessed with an area with a lot of birds. So is the state with the best turkey hunters, the one that has the most birds or the one with the least??

Blong

Quote from: RussM311 on March 03, 2015, 01:18:26 PM
Not sure what state it would be....but I have to think the best turkey hunters would be the ones from the state with the fewest birds, but still consistently score.... year in and year out. My daughter's brother in law in Morton, MS was the absolute best turkey hunter I have ever known....but there again, he was blessed with an area with a lot of birds. So is the state with the best turkey hunters, the one that has the most birds or the one with the least??
The guys that get to sit down and interact with turkeys on a regular basis learn more about the lifestyle of them. I'm sure there are great hunters scattered about the usa but I would think the guys with long seasons and liberal limits know turkey behavior better than the guy that may get to sit down on 3 birds a year. When somebody has heart surgery or any other life threatening one, they don't look for a newbie. They find the dr with the most experience. Practice makes perfect.

lonnie sneed jr.

There is no way to answer this question and no you are right. There are a lot of good turkey hunters, and a few great turkey hunters. I am blessed to have a GREAT TURKEY HUNTER for a Dad. But I am sure all states have some great ones. I have been blessed to have hunted with some great ones.  But I would have to say the top 3 I have hunted with is Paul Sneed my granddad, Lonnie Sneed Sr. my dad, R. Wayne Bailey a dear friend. Old School still works on gobblers.
:OGturkeyhead: :OGturkeyhead:

willy8457

Killing a lot of birds in one state compared to another is apples and oranges, does that mean you have good hunters or stupid birds. Are you hunting out of a blind along a field or are you chasing birds in the mountains. I have hunted states that anybody that could call at all had them run right up to you,  killing a lot of birds in some states don't mean much

RussM311

Willy,

For the sake of us who call like a sick buzzard.....  what were them easy states??   May have to alter my travel plans....  LOL..  But you are correct......  and it is not just different states.... go from public land to private land and see the difference.....  I can tell you for a fact that my hunting buddies and I do not fall into any elite category. But..... man is it ever fun to chase them big birds... even when you hear them laughing at your calling..  Actually saw a bird my buddy was calling...fly up a tree and stick his head in a knothole to keep from hearing the calls.

bammerslammer 50

Quote from: RussM311 on March 04, 2015, 11:29:00 PM
Willy,

For the sake of us who call like a sick buzzard.....  what were them easy states??   May have to alter my travel plans....  LOL..  But you are correct......  and it is not just different states.... go from public land to private land and see the difference.....  I can tell you for a fact that my hunting buddies and I do not fall into any elite category. But..... man is it ever fun to chase them big birds... even when you hear them laughing at your calling..  Actually saw a bird my buddy was calling...fly up a tree and stick his head in a knothole to keep from hearing the calls.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

willy8457

Agreed, just saying like you said hunting on public land  and  private land is not the same thing. Hunting  places where is a lot of birds the compition to breed is a lot greater so you will kill more birds

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: K9Doc on March 02, 2015, 11:51:00 PM
Quote from: ericjames on March 02, 2015, 11:33:12 PM

Now that's well put.  :z-winnersmiley:
I agree. No blinds, no decoys and lead filled shotshells. I do use a red dot sight though  ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!