turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best turkey hunters are from

Started by dirt road ninja, February 28, 2015, 08:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut2

PA has some great turkey hunters! I'd put them up against anyone / anywhere and feel confident about it!

Thunderbolt

Agree...cause its one tough state to kill birds...

El Pavo Grande

The "best" turkey hunters can be relative.....relative to where one hunts (not all properties are the equal.  Prime private ground with no pressure isn't equal to heavily pressured public land), relative to how many days hunted, etc.  Therefore in my opinion, the best or greatest isn't always measured in #s.  With that said, there are always a few that are better than the majority.  There are great turkey hunters from all states who could kill turkeys no matter where.  I don't care who it is, 99.9% of the best won't kill turkeys 100% of the time on poor properties, under bad conditions, etc.  If they claim to do so, either they don't hunt much, or they are not being truthful. 

Big names and even some legends may not equate to the "best".  I use his name as an example only because he is one of the more recognized, but even say Micheal Waddell, whom I'm sure is a great turkey hunter, may not be as good as  many others.  Let some of these guys come hunt high pressure, low density turkey areas and see if they are held in as high a standard.  Even as talented as championship callers are, doesn't mean they are better hunters, so I don't get too caught up in the big names. 

I have hunted several states over the years, and have hunted mostly public, but some lease and private ground as well in most of those I have hunted.  Overall, I have had some good success early season in AL and MS on public land, and would consider those challenging most of the time, but have never hunted later when turkeys are gobbling real well and as we like to say, acting right.   They always seem to gobble less for the most part, but it has always been early.  I'm not convinced in comparing a 45 day season in those is more difficult than getting it done in a later opening 16 day season in AR, because it isn't.  It all depends on timing and have struggled on certain days to connect in more turkey-rich places like MO on shorter time frame trips. 

So, in conclusion, it is all relative in my opinion.  It's hard to rate the best or crown any state of hunters as such.  Plus, we are all a little biased.  Great for conversation though.

crappieangler

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 01, 2015, 09:03:32 AM
It certainly appears to me that the southeastern states have many more dedicated turkey hunters than the rest of the country,...and dedication to any form of hunting breeds skill and success.  There are really good turkey hunters scattered all across the country, however. 

Put a dedicated turkey hunter from anywhere in the country in any location,...and give them time to familiarize themselves with the birds and habitat,...and they will adapt and be able to kill turkeys there.  Turkey hunting ain't rocket science.  Anybody that wants to put in the time and effort to learn can be a great turkey hunter.  With all the modern innovations and tools available for todays hunter, all it takes is dedication.

This for sure

the Ward

Northern hunters are the best for sure! We wiped out our population of turkeys, then we restocked with southern birds cause you  guys couldn't kill 'em all! Lol! just joking of course! Of all the good turkey hunters around the country, I think the best ones are right here on O.G.!!       

fldoghunter

The best turkey hunters are from hard hunted public land, wherever that may be.

GobbleNut

Quote from: fldoghunter on March 02, 2015, 08:23:54 AM
The best turkey hunters are from hard hunted public land, wherever that may be.

I would modify that statement to say that those hunters that hunt "hard-hunted public lands" are likely to be more successful in certain hunting situations than those hunters that hunt less-hard-hunted areas. 

However, people that hunt in areas where the birds are easier to kill often will get to observe turkey behavior much more than the guy who hunts the hard places where interactions with gobblers are much less frequent.  Those observations, and the conclusions that can be drawn from them, can be valuable when applied in even the hardest hunted areas.

Generally speaking, though, I think your statement is correct.   

stinkpickle

The guy that tags out every year in Alaska is the best.

tha bugman

+1
Quote from: El Pavo Grande on March 01, 2015, 09:03:41 PM
The "best" turkey hunters can be relative.....relative to where one hunts (not all properties are the equal.  Prime private ground with no pressure isn't equal to heavily pressured public land), relative to how many days hunted, etc.  Therefore in my opinion, the best or greatest isn't always measured in #s.  With that said, there are always a few that are better than the majority.  There are great turkey hunters from all states who could kill turkeys no matter where.  I don't care who it is, 99.9% of the best won't kill turkeys 100% of the time on poor properties, under bad conditions, etc.  If they claim to do so, either they don't hunt much, or they are not being truthful. 

Big names and even some legends may not equate to the "best".  I use his name as an example only because he is one of the more recognized, but even say Micheal Waddell, whom I'm sure is a great turkey hunter, may not be as good as  many others.  Let some of these guys come hunt high pressure, low density turkey areas and see if they are held in as high a standard.  Even as talented as championship callers are, doesn't mean they are better hunters, so I don't get too caught up in the big names. 

I have hunted several states over the years, and have hunted mostly public, but some lease and private ground as well in most of those I have hunted.  Overall, I have had some good success early season in AL and MS on public land, and would consider those challenging most of the time, but have never hunted later when turkeys are gobbling real well and as we like to say, acting right.   They always seem to gobble less for the most part, but it has always been early.  I'm not convinced in comparing a 45 day season in those is more difficult than getting it done in a later opening 16 day season in AR, because it isn't.  It all depends on timing and have struggled on certain days to connect in more turkey-rich places like MO on shorter time frame trips. 

So, in conclusion, it is all relative in my opinion.  It's hard to rate the best or crown any state of hunters as such.  Plus, we are all a little biased.  Great for conversation though.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Ruger M77 on March 01, 2015, 02:50:48 PM
Quote from: WildSpur on March 01, 2015, 07:39:12 AM
Pennsylvania.   I am surprised nobody knew!
X2
X3  I don't think ANY other turkey hunting state has the amount of hunting pressure applied to their wild turkeys as Pennsylvania. They are tough here and even more so on public land. Kill'em here on public, kill'em anywhere.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

KansasGobbler

I'd definitely have to say New Joisey...Garden State Palkway Exit 140A...absolutely the best 8)

VaTuRkStOmPeR

The south east.

Those hunters get more exposure to the birds throughout the entire breeding cycle.  When the seasons open the birds are often still in late winter patterns and when the season closes they have completed the breeding cycles am are often back together.

The habitat there is also much more difficult to hunt with all the swamps, thickets and high hen numbers.

The south is tougher hunting, higher bag limits (which allows a guy to get more experience in the killing department), and longer seasons. The boys that lay the hammer to them in the south are versatile and knowledgeable enough to murder birds anywhere.

slamman

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 01, 2015, 09:03:32 AM
It certainly appears to me that the southeastern states have many more dedicated turkey hunters than the rest of the country,...and dedication to any form of hunting breeds skill and success.  There are really good turkey hunters scattered all across the country, however. 

Put a dedicated turkey hunter from anywhere in the country in any location,...and give them time to familiarize themselves with the birds and habitat,...and they will adapt and be able to kill turkeys there.  Turkey hunting ain't rocket science.  Anybody that wants to put in the time and effort to learn can be a great turkey hunter.  With all the modern innovations and tools available for todays hunter, all it takes is dedication.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:  :agreed:

Jstocks

Instead of picking a state, I'm gonna put a region out there. The coastal plains that run from NW Florida to SE Louisiana ending around the Livingston Parish area has and continues to produce some of the best turkey hunters in the country. The terrain and pressure, along with decreased population, makes for the hardest hunting I've experienced. The folks who venture out of state to hunt from this region are some true killers and produce hooks/beards wherever they travel. Just my opinion, but I'd say the best turkey hunters come from the stretch of Gulf Coastal Plain from Louisiana, east through MS, Al, and into NW Fl.

jmasters

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 02, 2015, 11:59:49 AM
The guy that tags out every year in Alaska is the best.
Haha! I love it!