OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nitros in my 835

Started by ThunderChickenGetter, February 28, 2015, 07:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderChickenGetter

I went out and patterned my 835 with an IC BDS .675 choke. The temp was around 50. At 40 yards the 4x5x7 3.5" nitros put 183 in a 10" circle while 3.5" #6 longbeards put up 267. I really want to shoot the nitros because i have 10 of them but they didn't pattern like i expected them to. Would they shoot better if i shot one of the more open chokes that Nitro recommends on there website like the jellyhead or a rhino?

owlhoot

Well i wouldn't spend another $ 50-100 on a new tube just for the 10 rounds you have.
Which may not even improve the pattern?

That 183 is not bad at all. :z-twocents:
Kill them all day long.
Be better when it is warmer they say.

JHoyle

My buddy shoots an 835 and shoots a rhino .690 and nitros. Pattern is nasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

183   how dead is dead???? I would stick with what you have
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

davisd9

Nitros will be what I go to when I use up my stash of Hevi

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ThunderChickenGetter

I know that 180 is a great pattern but after seeing 260 from the long beards i guess i was just hoping to see the same thing from the nitros.

dirt road ninja

I'd be disappointed as well. I'm a number guy and it t'ed me off when Hevi 13's out pattern my Nitro's , but they did. I shoot the Nitro's now anyway, cause I had problems with 2 shells (hevi 13)  fall apart in my gun. The number variance wasn't near as great with mine as what your experiencing. 

ThunderChickenGetter

I'll be shooting the nitros this year too even though the LB XR's shot better i had already put in my order for 10 more nitros because they have always shot good for me. The ones i shot today were from 2 years ago so maybe the new ones i get will pattern better.

fountain2

Go to a more open choke for the nitros.  The jelly head or rhino should do well or call Sumtoy for one of his
Looks like you have the long beards running hot!

Easttnhunter01

I get around 195 in a 10" circle at 40 with 3.5 lbxr #5 in a 935 with the same choke... I've thought about trying nitros, if I had the experience you've had with them I'd be aggervated..

I've shot mag blends and only got 180 with them, I'm gonna try some hevi's I've not shot any hevi shot other than the mag blends so idk what shot size to try first

ThunderChickenGetter

Mag blends put up about 180 for me as well. I've shot hevi 7's and they shot well for me in the past. I have buddies who shoot some incredible patterns with nitros out of their guns. I guess we'll see how the new loads I've got coming shoot

taylorjones20

That 183 in the Nitro will have tons more knock down power than those stinkin ol longbeards...   :)
Alive only by the Grace Of God

dirt road ninja

To add to my post from earlier.

I shoot the 2 7/16 oz loads and tried 4 chokes from .675-.695 the tightest one shot the best. Go fiqure!
If your turning that high with LB's you might want to stay there, but I can completely relate to making a particular shell shoot out of a gun.

Bottomland

i shoot a .690 rhino and put in the high 200s.  I think the .675 you are shooting is to tight of a constriction for the nitros

Gobble!

Quote from: dirt road ninja on February 28, 2015, 09:19:50 PM
I'd be disappointed as well. I'm a number guy and it t'ed me off when Hevi 13's out pattern my Nitro's , but they did. I shoot the Nitro's now anyway, cause I had problems with 2 shells (hevi 13)  fall apart in my gun. The number variance wasn't near as great with mine as what your experiencing. 

Same boat. I will be using handloads next year.