OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What went wrong?

Started by Turkasaurus, March 22, 2011, 01:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkasaurus

New member, long time Turkey addict......   :z-guntootsmiley:

Can't figure out why I never got the pellet count that I anticipated

Remington Super Mag 12ga 23"

Jellyhead .665

Nitro ammo 517T 4x5x7 3.5"

Deep cleaned and polished with steel wool til mirror finish, laser ranged 40 yards, off of sandbags I got 200 pellets at 40 and 75 pellets at 60. Sunny day at 71degrees, humidity at 45-50%.

Any thoughts on a 23" barrel vs other lengths? Would the humidity level do that?
Fueled by Nitro Ammo Co.

archery1

longr barrels do seem to throw better patterns.. i am not sure about humidity but temperature does affect the counts very much. u will see on here people getting better numbers when the temps are past 70 degrees. i hope this help you
Take a kid hunting

stinkpickle

My first suggestion would be to step down to H51013A in straight #7's.  I would do that before changing anything else.  2 7/16oz of shot is a lot to shove down any barrel smaller than a Mossy 835.

SKFOOTER

I've been shooting Nitro's for several years.  2 years ago, the #H51013A Straight 7's were putting 400 pellets in a 10" circle @40 yards thru my Benelli SBE/Jellyhead .655 setup.  This year's loads in that same combination are only yielding 250-260.  I've got an email in to Nitro and Letha is going to check with Ray about a component change and get back with me.  Has anyone else had a reduction in their pattern numbers with this year's #H51013A Straight 7 loads???

msgobblergetter

Make sure you a shooting the paper first then drawing your 10" circle around the most dense part of your pattern.  This will give you the correct numbers... Also, shoot at least three times to see if your numbers are consistent.

bowhunter84

Quote from: msgobblergetter on March 22, 2011, 02:29:25 PM
Make sure you a shooting the paper first then drawing your 10" circle around the most dense part of your pattern.  This will give you the correct numbers... Also, shoot at least three times to see if your numbers are consistent.
:agreed: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

SKFOOTER

I've been patterning turkey loads for over 30 years fellas,  so I'm very much aware of how to determine pattern density and this year's Nitro #H51013A Straight 7 loads are not patterning as good as the 2009 loads did for me.

stinkpickle

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 22, 2011, 04:06:28 PM
I've been patterning turkey loads for over 30 years fellas,  so I'm very much aware of how to determine pattern density and this year's Nitro #H51013A Straight 7 loads are not patterning as good as the 2009 loads did for me.

:TooFunny:  Are you flinching? 

SKFOOTER

That's very doubtful since I'm shooting from a Lead Sled.

SKFOOTER

Did you not see my posts above, Slicky???  If he shoots this years loads, the pellet pattern count will be way down from what they should be.

sugarray

This is getting interesting.  Little testy.  I like it.   :z-guntootsmiley:

stinkpickle

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 22, 2011, 04:32:12 PM

AHHHH...THAT EXPLAINS IT!!!  You need an HTL Sled!   :D

1esso

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 22, 2011, 05:43:46 PM
Did you not see my posts above, Slicky???  If he shoots this years loads, the pellet pattern count will be way down from what they should be.
I dont know if slicky seen the post or not, but would try whatever he suggest.

njdevilsb

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 22, 2011, 06:26:04 PM
Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 22, 2011, 04:32:12 PM

AHHHH...THAT EXPLAINS IT!!!  You need an HTL Sled!   :D

:TooFunny: