Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HELP: Best Strikers (wood types) for SLATE?

Started by Huntress, February 28, 2015, 01:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntress

My 12-year old son would like to start collecting a few unique strikers, made from different woods.  He wants to know which striker woods will give him what results on SLATE.  If you have a certain call maker whose strikers you especially LOVE, please give them a mention.

Thanks so much for your help!

West Augusta

The "best" striker on a particular surface will depend on a lot of variables.  The particular call,  the density of the wood,  the playing style of the caller.  A striker of a particular wood made by Harold Fowler,  Pappy, Bill Lyman,  myself or any of the other call makers here will all sound different.  Not much help I know.  Try a few from different makers or find a friend that has some you can try.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Huntress

Thanks.  That makes sense.  Other than attending the NWTF Next year, I'm not sure how to "try" a whole lot of strikers.  We've moved beyond what's on Cabela's shelves...

born2hunt

Quote from: Huntress on February 28, 2015, 04:01:55 PM
Thanks.  That makes sense.  Other than attending the NWTF Next year, I'm not sure how to "try" a whole lot of strikers.  We've moved beyond what's on Cabela's shelves...
I see you've asked about glass, aluminum and slate. Its probably safe to say that any custom striker from most any reputable maker will sound good on one of those surfaces if not all. I cant think of a custom striker I have tried that sounded "BAD". They sound different on each surface and better on some but not bad. The woods they use are known to play well which is the reason for use.
Just buy a couple from a popular builder and try them, I doubt there will be disappointment. And keep that boy calling.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

chuckward

Get him a woodhaven laminated birch flair tip a macassar ebony and maybe a dymondwood from any persons listed above and he will be in pretty good shape on all surfaces. Chuck

mgm1955

Quote from: West Augusta on February 28, 2015, 03:55:44 PM
The "best" striker on a particular surface will depend on a lot of variables.  The particular call,  the density of the wood,  the playing style of the caller.  A striker of a particular wood made by Harold Fowler,  Pappy, Bill Lyman,  myself or any of the other call makers here will all sound different.  Not much help I know.  Try a few from different makers or find a friend that has some you can try.
Great advice. Stick with those makers and he'll have some awesome strikers.

Huntress

Quote from: born2hunt on February 28, 2015, 04:45:26 PM
They sound different on each surface and better on some but not bad. The woods they use are known to play well which is the reason for use.

Just buy a couple from a popular builder and try them, I doubt there will be disappointment. And keep that boy calling.

Thank you!  I have seen thread after thread of this or that wood on this or that surface...  It gets a bit overwhelming, but yes, certain call makers names come up again and again.

We will give a few a try...

mmclain

black locust or bubinga.......and it won't cost ya' $$$

matt

Stump.270

Call mr Harold fowler and talk to him and tell him what surface you want what calls that you have or plan to have and always ask whoever you talk to what they use in their vest for each surface I'm no expert but here is my list
Slate - persimmions (holloran or fowler) snakewood (fowler) tiete,Brazilian,padagodion rosewoods all play well on late

Crystal-dymondwood about anybody,Macassar ebony,ipe,a woodhaven strike 3 birch,fowler hickory

Aluminum- dymondwood,Purple Heart,snakewood,hickory

wcerin

Another vote for Black Locust. I love it w my Sneed Hot Hen.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

Bntmtngamecalls

We have several different woods available, but you can't go wrong with the black locust.  Cherry also works well on slate.  We usually let folks play all they can on the call the are purchasing when we are set up at a show.

www.bentmountaingamecalls.com

mudhen

I've been using the Primos Cuttin' Stick for many years, with all my different pot calls, don't count it out just because it's at Cabela's & Bass Pro...

I agree with most of the selections listed above, and can add Light's Out laminated strikers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Stump.270

Stoner

On slate I like Bubinga, Purple Heart, and Hickory. It does depend on the called as mentioned above.

Team Bucky

For slate you want a softer wood with more grip and that by far is Halloran's persimmon one-piece striker. The purrs are amazing and the clucks are realistic. I also like hickory on slate and heart pine, but persimmon is best!