turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mississippi in Two Weeks

Started by hunter22, February 27, 2015, 10:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

If I were a Mississippi resident I would be out there everyday regardless of the weather until I filled my three tags. But being from out-of-state we have to try and choose what will give us the best opportunity in our short time to get on gobblers. I can say we have hunted Mississippi 8 times and killed two gobblers each trip on public land with other chances that we just blew.

RussM311

Will miss the opener due to family functions, but will travel on Monday the 16th and start hunting on Tuesday. May be too cold.... may be too early... but I have the first 2 weeks left on my license from last season and have commitments to hunt Louisiana and Oklahoma starting on March 28. I think the key will be travel patterns and being where they are heading.... they may or may not gobble. And, the afternoons may be better than the mornings. But... who the heck knows for sure??? Not me...I'm just a simple turkey hunter...  :-)

sasquatch1

I will be there!! Last years opener was terrible, cold, and rainy and I still managed two, and heard another. Now when spoke to the GW at the check station, they said I was the only one to do good. The ppl at the hotel all said the same but it goes to show that you never KNOW till you GO.

surehuntsalot

needs to have the season moved back 3 weeks
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

drenalinld

I'm not scared to build a fire to keep warm on a long sit!

hunter22

I know, you had a forest fire going the last time we were there. Good thing they cannot smell!!!! And it was not even freezing that morning.

Jstocks

I'm in a lease near Philadelphia. I haven't been able to make the drive to scout (it's 5 hours), but dang it's gonna be tough. The weather ain't cooperating at all. Maybe the crowd will get frustrated and quit at the lease before the hunting gets good in April.

northms

Think the last turkey in MS was killed last year.  None left here.... ;D

762hunter

I will be hunting some private land in N Ms for the 1st time this year.
Its a pasture land and I've seen birds there before. Went walking today and found a feather but no poo or tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwb04

Thankfully, the MDWFP moved the season back on a couple WMA's close to me here in MS.  Not even opening until April (even youth season).  Been long over due in my opinion.   

Spurs

Watch what you wish for on a later season...people in AR started talking that junk and now our season is over before it starts.  Be thankful y'all's runs through the 'prime time'.
This year is going to suck!!!

monsterman

ima be out there even if its frozen looks like it maybe  :drool: :funnyturkey:

Gobbler2577

I live in north Mississippi but had to be down near Jackson on Tuesday.  I saw four different birds strutting on the way down.  My guess is with a warmer week ahead we're going to be in good shape come the 14th.  Been a few birds gobbling sporadically here and there and I fully expect to hear a few come next weekend. 

deadbuck

I am in N Central Mississippi and it is 28 degrees and a half an inch of ice on the ground today. If you guys are having to come from very far away you might want to wait till later. We have not had any days of warm weather so far and it is going to kick off late this year. I know yall like to come here to do some early hunting, but I think you will be disappointed this year on the opener.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: deadbuck on March 05, 2015, 08:31:28 PM
I am in N Central Mississippi and it is 28 degrees and a half an inch of ice on the ground today. If you guys are having to come from very far away you might want to wait till later. We have not had any days of warm weather so far and it is going to kick off late this year. I know yall like to come here to do some early hunting, but I think you will be disappointed this year on the opener.

Amen to the winter weather screwing everything up
it's more like duck season than turkey season
it's not the harvest,it's the chase