OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mississippi in Two Weeks

Started by hunter22, February 27, 2015, 10:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

Who's planning to hunt Mississippi in two weeks? Looks like spring may be a month behind this year. 

Spurs

I may be heading that way.  My BIL goes every year and his group typically do really good. 
This year is going to suck!!!

chuckward

We'll be there every weekend until our season opens. Will probably be slow the first couple weekends this year though.  Chuck

hunter22

I normally go at this time also but never seen weather like this so close to their opener. Hard to imagine much gobbling activity like this. 

chuckward

I can't see it either. We're gonna skip youth weekend this year for sure. 

hunter22

We drew three WMA hunts and will pass on them this year. We have killed gobblers on them the 8 years we have hunted them. But some years the trees were leaved out and the dogwoods in full bloom when their season started.

silvestris

I think it will be April before it gets right.  This global warming has really turned things upset down.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

hunter22

We now plan to start hunting on March 31st. Hopefully there will be some green by then.

ridge-runner

I'll be in SW Mississippi opening day..I am also worried about this cold weather so close to opener but hey, can't kill em at the house!

Blong

Terrible hatches and cold weather will make for another horrible season here. Y'all stay at home and save your money!

dirt road ninja

I'll be there for youth (hopefully) and for sure the rest of the season. I have a good bit of private ground and have killed them "deer hunting" when there is no gobbling. Will probably end up guarding dekes in a plot or on a road if nothing's talking. Not the way I wanted to start the season, but I'll be happy as long as it's not thunderstorms or all day downpours.
Last year I didn't hear a bird opening weekend and still ended up with a great season.

hunter22

It is snowing here in Arkansas this morning and temps in the low 20s.

We went to Mississippi in the spring of 2013 for their opener and it was cold and a late spring that year. We killed two gobblers in four days hunting but they came in without a gobble. Fun but just not the way I like to hunt them. Since we are only buying a 7-day non-resident hunting license we will wait. Good luck to those hitting their opener.

El Pavo Grande

I agree when you have only a select few days to hunt and not an entire season, it is best to watch the weather.  Having hunted MS and AL quite a few times early season, the quality of your hunt can depend on timing of spring (early or late).  With the later timing our season is AR, it gives more flexibility to hunt somewhere earlier before our season comes in.  Good luck.

tomstopper

Good luck to you guys. Hope the weather warms up for ya

Spitten and drummen

I will be there. I wait all year for the season and if the weather isn't perfect then so be it. I am not one who can pick and choose the perfect days. I hunt as often as I can with a full time job. The older I get the more I realize my days of chasing these birds are dwindling. I will hunt them until I am no longer here . Each spring day that passes is one less that I will have in my life.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE