OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

good glass/crystal call

Started by skimerhorn, February 27, 2015, 09:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skimerhorn

Can anyone  recommend a good glass or crystal  call? I've looked at the Holloran, Woodhaven, warbird, and cody and can't seem to find one that really sticks. Also is glass and crystal the same? Sorry if that's a dumb question, and thanks for your help.

dreis3

Lots of really good pot call makers out there right now... Some names that commonly get brought up are Clint Corder (2+ year wait, I believe), Kimmy Hanks, Dustin Jones, David Halloran, Gary Anderson, Jimmy Schaffer, Paul Platz, Darrin Dawkins, Lon Trice,  and Sadler McGraw.

Glass and crystal are not the same - crystal contains lead which makes it harder than your plain glass and when it comes to call making will generally give you a higher pitch.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

-Derick
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

TalknTurkey

Hallorans crystals are awesome. I haven't run the new metal mouth yet, but you can't go wrong with a Crystal mistress or twisted sister. My personal favorite is the twisted sister paired with his one piece yellow heart striker.

paboxcall

My favorite pot call - check out Perfection Turkey Calls.

This one really rips.  Easily will run soft or loud, cuts and yelps are awesome and comes with a sweet striker.  The corian pot has a small rib at the base which gives you excellent control when you run it. 

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

eddie234

I love my woodhaven crystal. I have a number of different strikers, normally I like the one piece birch from woodhaven or the yellow heart from hooks.

scoot12

any Halloran crystal call,  the mad hen original and the new mad hen 2,  Dawkins walnut crystal,  Dustin Jones crystal and Paul Platz crystal.  This is just to name a few.  Scoot

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: TalknTurkey on February 28, 2015, 06:08:52 AM
Hallorans crystals are awesome. I haven't run the new metal mouth yet, but you can't go wrong with a Crystal mistress or twisted sister. My personal favorite is the twisted sister paired with his one piece yellow heart striker.

I agree. The Twisted Sister and the yellowheart or purpleheart one piece striker is a finely tuned machine.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

TauntoHawk

Hallorans crystals are top notch, jimmy Schaffers mad hen really tore up the woods for me last year he has some being glued up now but they are going fast. Hanks and SS both build good ones that I've heard but I don't have the pleasure of owning either at this time.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

chuckward

For calls you can get right now. The Mistress or Lonzo's would get you going.  If you don't mind waiting, Platz walnut glass or Dawkins Crystal seem to be at the top of the food chain. Chuck

Bowguy

I have the Halloran Mistress and Schafers Mad Hen II. Both pretty awesome. You can't go wrong w either. Crystal is purified glass btw. I have a Schafer slate over slate I got just last week. That call "rings" like slate typically doesn't. My new favorite call. Not field tested yet but I'm not betting against it. It's a one off red hen pot/slate experiment. Glad I got it. If you order from Schafer just an fyi not to overlook his skates. The mistress btw is a bit raspier than the mad hen II. As stated earlier there's lots of great call makers around. Good luck

skimerhorn

Thanks! Seems like Holloran and schafer get the most votes. I've never heard of schafer,  but will look into him for sure. I wasn't sure if the Halloran calls were mass produced, Iike to get one someone built and tuned. Thanks for the advice.

Bowguy

Quote from: skimerhorn on February 28, 2015, 11:18:22 AM
Thanks! Seems like Holloran and schafer get the most votes. I've never heard of schafer,  but will look into him for sure. I wasn't sure if the Halloran calls were mass produced, Iike to get one someone built and tuned. Thanks for the advice.
its Oak Ridge Custom Calls. In case you want to check him out n he does everything by hand.

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

VAarrowslinger

Quote from: paboxcall on February 28, 2015, 08:11:26 AM
My favorite pot call - check out Perfection Turkey Calls.

This one really rips.  Easily will run soft or loud, cuts and yelps are awesome and comes with a sweet striker.  The corian pot has a small rib at the base which gives you excellent control when you run it. 

you can also sand a spot on the bottom of this call and use it for soft yelps. Great combo here

Jbird22

I recently acquired a Schaffer Mad Hen 2 and can tell you it's the real deal. I also have a Twisted Sister and it's a good one as well. It's a bit raspier than the Mad Hen 2 so I think they'll compliment each other very well. A Woodhaven Cherry Classic Crystal is also a good one and can be found for decent prices in the classifieds from time to time.