OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Going predator hunting this weekend

Started by kevin2, February 26, 2015, 07:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

The night time season closes after this weekend here in Michigan, so I'm going to get out there and see if I can get rid of a few of the yotes and his friends ONE last time. It will be all about Turkeys after this weekend.

Anyone else get after the predators.

I started hunting them several years ago after seeing them on game cameras, actually a video clip in this instance. After reading several articles about how they really do impact the deer and turkeys, it was clear that getting after them was a good thing for balance. Fun too!
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

sonofabuck

Lots of fun to fill the gap between deer and turkey.  We started this year on our lease.  Only two in as many trips but every one helps I guess.

okiegobblers

Just started myself. Just bought a couple of custom calls. One closed reed rabbit in distress and an open reed howler.

perrytrails

Howled this one in Monday morning. Ran across a frozen lake to us. My son shot it with his 204. I'm in southeast Ohio. I've had the best luck right at daylight, called a few in right at dusk.
If I'm calling at night it's usually for fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomstopper

870supermagnum

I want to go and learn how predator hunt badly.  I don't know anyone around Jacksonville, FL that predator hunts and I don't know any land owners that I could ask to hunt there place. So, I'm on the outside looking in. 

okiegobblers

Quote from: perrytrails on February 26, 2015, 01:30:40 PM
Howled this one in Monday morning. Ran across a frozen lake to us. My son shot it with his 204. I'm in southeast Ohio. I've had the best luck right at daylight, called a few in right at dusk.
If I'm calling at night it's usually for fox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice coyote, congrats!

perrytrails

Thanks, was shocked she showed up so fast. Kevin what methods do you use at night?I've tried, had them howl back now and then but never show.

That one actually ended a long dry spell for us. Lots of guys using electronic calls around here.

We went back to open reed calls. Honestly they have produced the most for us.

kevin2

I've used it all. Custom calls, open and closed, mass assemble calls, electronic (5 different ones and counting!), but I don't have a sure call that out does the other. My cheap Primos rabbit in destress call has called in the most coyotes, but I've had it the longest & it was used when our property was over run with yotes 2 years running. So, if you take that out, it hasn't done much since. It is the hardest thing when you go out, determining what will be the best. I think both at the same time is good. The Foxpro Electronic calls have the best sounds in my opinion. My problem is positioning them so that they remote can activate and control them. IF they'd come up with a better remote that doesn't have to have very clear line of sight, then that would really help me to like them better.

We had yotes calling back early on in a set a couple weeks ago, then they went silent. NOT sure if they lost interest, or if we didn't wait them out long enough to show up on stand.

Quote from: perrytrails on February 26, 2015, 01:40:45 PM
Kevin what methods do you use at night?I've tried, had them howl back now and then but never show.

That one actually ended a long dry spell for us. Lots of guys using electronic calls around here.

We went back to open reed calls. Honestly they have produced the most for us.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Snoodsniper

I'm starting to get into predator hunting a little. Been out a couple times with no luck. What is your go to call when hunting yotes?

beagler

I call for fox/coyote at night and we also run yotes with hounds. Probably have the dogs out Saturday.
Never Misses

mgm1955

wisconsinteacher

Nice looking hounds Beagler.  I use to run Walkers and Blueticks for bear in the fall and coyotes in the winter months. 

perrytrails

Quote from: beagler on February 26, 2015, 07:36:06 PM
I call for fox/coyote at night and we also run yotes with hounds. Probably have the dogs out Saturday.

That's awesome, I went with some dogs last year on a yote hunt, great time. I had rabbit and coon dogs for years, even a few squirrel dogs. Love to see them work.

Good luck to all of Ya, take them critters out!