OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Evaluation

Started by allaboutshooting, February 24, 2015, 06:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allaboutshooting

Several months ago,  after an number of inquiries about what choke worked best and in what gun, with the  new Winchester Long Beard (WLB) shotshells, I decided that I would evaluate those shells through a variety of commercially made turkey chokes. I wanted to try to use the most popular guns used for turkey hunting as well as the turkey choke brands that are most discussed on Internet forums and produce the largest number of inquiries. 

I had to make a few decisions before beginning the project including limiting the chokes to commercial makers. To be as fair as possible, I decided to ask each manufacturer to submit the choke, of any thread type, that they thought would do best with 3" WLB shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot. Most manufactures responded enthusiastically and some did not respond at all.

When all of the chokes were assembled, I had thread types for the Benelli "Crio", Benelli "Mobil", Win-Choke/Invector, Invector Plus, Rem-Choke, and Mossberg Accu-Mag for 835/935 shotguns. Consequently, I chose a Benelli Vinci, Benelli SBE, Mossberg 930, Browning BPS, Remington 11-87 and a Mossberg 835 shotgun for the evaluations. All shotguns had the same barrel length.

In the end, I had 32 different choke configurations that I shot through the 6 different shotguns. I shot each choke/gun/shell 3 times for a total of 96 shots. All were shot under similar conditions and in turkey hunting temperatures that many of us will encounter in spring and fall hunts.

The evaluation was as objective as I could make it and when you see the targets, the charts and read the article, you'll note that I draw no conclusions as to which choke performed the best in any particular shotgun. The reader can examine all of the results and draw his own conclusion.

The article will appear the the next "Turkey Country" magazine that should be in your mailbox in the next could of weeks. I hope you find it informative and helpful.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Mike Honcho

Can't  wait to see the article and results Clark. I know you have a lot of time and effort into the project.
We turkey hunters appreciate that!

Gobble!

Sweet. Does not really apply to me but still interested either way.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Mike Honcho on February 24, 2015, 07:27:45 PM
Can't  wait to see the article and results Clark. I know you have a lot of time and effort into the project.
We turkey hunters appreciate that!

Me too!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

SinGin

Man I bet your shoulder's sore :z-guntootsmiley:

mgm1955

SKFOOTER

Clark, how accurate do you feel the new Winchester Pattern Apps are??? :OGturkeyhead:

gaswamp

I don't get that magazine

slwayne

Quote from: gaswamp on February 24, 2015, 09:38:51 PM

Free subscription with NWTF membership.

Gobble!

Quote from: slwayne on February 25, 2015, 07:51:29 AM
Quote from: gaswamp on February 24, 2015, 09:38:51 PM

Free subscription with NWTF membership.

Not sure if it's still active but BassPro was offering a $25 gift card if you joined the NWTF. For $10 I figured I can at least get some magazines.

allaboutshooting

I appreciate the positive comments. It was a major project and I hope you find the information helpful.

Thanks,
Clark

Swampchickin234

I am very interested in swing this. Thank you   Blessings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swampchickin234

Seeing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKFOOTER

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 24, 2015, 09:20:42 PM
Clark, how accurate do you feel the new Winchester Pattern Apps are??? :OGturkeyhead:
Once again, Clark.   :OGturkeyhead:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 25, 2015, 03:57:16 PM
Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 24, 2015, 09:20:42 PM
Once again, Clark.   :OGturkeyhead:

Sorry, I can't be of any help there. I haven't spent any time with them. I did get the press release from Winchester but that's about it.

Thanks,
Clark