News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

No shoulders

Started by dirt road ninja, February 24, 2015, 04:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: bammerslammer 50 on February 24, 2015, 05:38:13 PM
I usually go through two movements. A bowel movement then a physical movement. S#!+ then run. :emoticon-cartoon-012:

Now that was funny. :TooFunny:...  I might just steal that one from ya' with my own friends...

Only poisonous snakes I am likely to run across are rattlers...  Pretty easy to identify.  I leave all the non-venomous snakes alone, and if in a remote area, I leave the rattlers alone as well.  If I am near a place where there are people or dogs that are likely to come across it, I dispatch it...  Rattlesnakes actually eat pretty well if they are big enough, so I do not feel too terrible killing one.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

deerbasshunter3

I have no desire to share anything, be it food or woods, with a snake. My first few years of deer hunting were spent only hunting opens areas where I could get to a tree in an open area because I was so scared of snakes (Still am scared, as a matter of fact!). I probably missed out on a ton of deer because of that. Now, I just watch where I walk. I would probably crap my pants if I came up on a poisonous snake in the woods (I have never seen one, only one non-poisonous.). I will most definitely be wearing snake boots this Spring. I would probably shoot a snake if I came across one, unless it was actively leaving. I do not want to sit up against a tree when I know a snake is hanging around.

Also, thanks a lot for bringing this up. Now I have something else to keep me up all night...

surehuntsalot

if it is poisonous and I am armed (which is 99% of the time) it dies
if I come across a coyote, bobcat or anything else while deer or turkey ,hunting, it dies
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

Poison ones get dead, others get a pass.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

K9Doc

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on February 24, 2015, 04:58:04 PM
If said snake(poisonous or not) is in the forest or field where it belongs I go about my business. No need to dispatch them when they are where they should be.

^^^^^^THIS
I figure im in his house and I'm just visiting.
Besides there is no snake season.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

bammerslammer 50

Quote from: Marc on February 24, 2015, 10:19:19 PM
Quote from: bammerslammer 50 on February 24, 2015, 05:38:13 PM
I usually go through two movements. A bowel movement then a physical movement. S#!+ then run. :emoticon-cartoon-012:

Now that was funny. :TooFunny:...  I might just steal that one from ya' with my own friends...

Only poisonous snakes I am likely to run across are rattlers...  Pretty easy to identify.  I leave all the non-venomous snakes alone, and if in a remote area, I leave the rattlers alone as well.  If I am near a place where there are people or dogs that are likely to come across it, I dispatch it...  Rattlesnakes actually eat pretty well if they are big enough, so I do not feel too terrible killing one.
go for it I stole it from one of my buddies. Im actually not scared of snakes at all. I just always wanted to say that. Spiders on the other hand. Well now that's a different story. I walk through a spider web and go crazy. Its funny to watch a grown man walk through one and instantly look like a kid doing karate.

M Sharpe

Rattlesnakes, copperheads and moccasins...... :fud:
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

snapper1982

I let em live. Illegal to kill snakes in ohio. Lot of times I will catch them and check me out though.

ericjames

Quote from: born2hunt on February 24, 2015, 08:07:05 PM
I absolutely can not bring myself to leave a moccasin or rattler and return to the area pre dawn and sit by a tree and enjoy my hunt. No sir, sorry, just cant... Ya'll coexist all you want while I better my odds.

This is how I feel also.

870FaceLift

I'm just glad that we don't have poisonous snakes where I hunt 90% of the time.  You guys down south  and out west have my respect.  If I ever heard a rattler while making my way through dark timber, I'd be sprinting the other way.  Then I'd be purchasing naval-high snake boots.
Pass it on...

Spitten and drummen

everyone does know that snakes eat turkey eggs. they can wreak havoc on a nest just like a coon or hog.  just saying. I do kill any venomous snakes that I come across. non poisionus gets a pass from me.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

dejake

Last year, a friend told me where to sit.  After two sits, he says "by the way, there's usually a bunch of rattlers in that area".  After that, I went in with the headlamp on. ONCE!

Tail Feathers

I haven't killed on in the woods.
Not to say I wouldn't but I usually don't want to make that much extra noise in the turkey woods.

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Hooksfan

I cannot bring myself to leave a poisonous snake in the woods. My brother has the worst luck of anyone I know.  He once got tangled up on the line of a bank pole that had a pretty ticked off water moccasin attached to it.  Line wrapped around his leg and so did the snake.  I witnessed it myself.  He was kickin and screamin like a girl.  Thankfully he had on a pair of work boots and when the snake finally managed to bite him, he only got boot.
He also once sat on a water moccasin with his turkey vest cushion before daylight one morning.
I wonder how many folks that give all snakes a pass are from Louisiana?? :toothy9:

g8rvet

I would think that an oak snake would eat WAY more turkey eggs than a rattler.  They were constantly in my momma's laying house.

Most snakes get a pass from me, unless very large and venomous or near someone's house or a very high traffic area.  Catching a poisonous snake is kookoo.  Did a literature review for a project one time and the majority of Coral snake envenomations were inebriated males in their 20s.  LOL

I did have a possum that had to die one time.  I was crossing a narrow dry area where a creek spread out and there were two possums bowing up to each other. I picked up a limb and tossed it at them.  One of them charged me like he thought he was a frickin lion.  I stomped my feet to let him know I was there and he kept coming.  He brought teeth to a gun fight.  He lost. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.