OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Vest or no vest ?

Started by born2hunt, February 23, 2015, 11:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2hunt

Ok, I see the topic of "whats the best vest" is pretty much wore out by now which has got me thinking.
I have never used one, nor have I felt the need. But I don't carry a ton of crap either. I normally hit the woods with a diaphragm in my mouth, a locator and pot of choice in my pocket, a turkey chair slung over one shoulder and a few extra calls and necessities in a back pack. I can set up quick, lay the pack just to my right and have access to my other calls and gear. I am confident, I never feel unorganized and I do very well with my method .  I just always saw vests as one of those things that every new turkey hunter runs out and buys because they think ya just gotta have one if your gonna be a real turkey hunter.
Now... Am I missing out on something that is indeed that useful ?  And am I a minority here or does anybody else take the vest-less approach ?
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Stoner

Do not use a vest, I have an old Fieldline fanny pack designed to hold turkey calls and accessories. Never like sitting on a cushion when I can sit on my Gobbler Lounge.

RutnNStrutn

I have a Primos Gobbler vest, but I rarely use it. I much prefer my Beard Buster Belt. I added a couple of more pouches to it so it could carry all of the junk I tote into the woods. ;D I love it though. :icon_thumright:

And ditto on the Gobbler Lounger!! I never leave home without it!

Marc

I am organizationally impaired to begin with...

I have found a vest to be very helpful to organize my gear, and have items easily accessible without having to dig around in a shoulder bag.  Everything is accessible and easy to get to, and I know where it is when I need it...  Also easy to put it back where it goes when I am done...

Certainly not a necessity, but a nice convenience that has added to the enjoyment of the experience for me.

And, if the ground is wet, those little seat cusions are an added bonus as well (although I usually hunt without mine).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

mudhen

I don't carry a backpack, never felt the need, and we all know how important "need" is to a turkey hunter!!!.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

mgm1955

I like having my vest to carry what I want to take no matter how much or how little. Can always dump it if I need to, but can't use something I don't have with me.

bammerslammer 50

I like my vest because I keep everything I use in mine except my shotgun. Even my asat leafy suit stays in the game bag as well as a rain suit. The point is when I grab my vest and shotgun and walk out the door I'm ready to hunt.

Gobble!

I got away from a vest for a year or two but I do too much sitting and leaning against trees to not have a nice seat and back pads.

Dtrkyman

Really like the no vest hunting, mouth call, pot call and air cushion makes running and gunning sooooo nice!

bamagtrdude

I started out with vests & b/c of the heat in Texas & Alabama, I quickly ditched using a vest & went with a waist pack/pouch deal from Academy.  I carry my dekes & a butt pad inside of a very light-weight backpack.  See attached pic for my turkey huntin' get-up.

But, to each their own; I've seen some very skinny, lightweight vests that I think I could wear & make work just as good.

BGD
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

strut2

I have a generic cloth vest. It has two big pockets in the front, a cushion sit, and a game pouch in the back. It's the lightest vest I've found and it does the job. I like the pouch in the back for the clothes I shed as the day goes on. I tend to cover a lot of ground so I keep it as light as possible.

BowBendr

I wear a vest but I removed the flip down cushion and use a gobbler lounger.
Thinking of going to a brossie type bag/lounger setup.

perrytrails

For years I hit the woods with a mouth call and a crow call, shotgun in hand.

Now it's a vest, just easier.

It's nice to grab my gun and vest at 3 or 4am knowing I've got everything I might need. Be it TP, water, bug spray, gloves, face mask, shells, calls etc...

I'm not the most functional that early in the morning.

Swampchickin234

I've tried the fanny pack thang and back pack but it just don't work for me.  I like vests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Fanny pack with shoulder straps, and a seat cushion attached to the bottom strap.  All I need.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot