turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vest or no vest ?

Started by born2hunt, February 23, 2015, 11:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dejake

everything i have goes in my backpack.  Temps dictate that i usually have to wear a coat, so i think a vest just wouldn't feel right.  guess i just never had the urge to try one.

born2hunt

Well I guess I'm not alone. Who knows, maybe one day I might try a vest but Ill stick to my pack for now, it carries all my crap and then some.
Thanks..
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

idratherb

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

GSLAM95

Depends as I like to be diversified it depends on the weapon I am using, terrain, distance traveling and weather.  Sometimes it's a vest or small pack, sometimes nothing but a few calls and sometimes it's a pack that carries a blind, bow and stool.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

appalachianassassin

Quote from: born2hunt on February 23, 2015, 11:28:50 PM
Ok, I see the topic of "whats the best vest" is pretty much wore out by now which has got me thinking.
I have never used one, nor have I felt the need. But I don't carry a ton of crap either. I normally hit the woods with a diaphragm in my mouth, a locator and pot of choice in my pocket, a turkey chair slung over one shoulder and a few extra calls and necessities in a back pack. I can set up quick, lay the pack just to my right and have access to my other calls and gear. I am confident, I never feel unorganized and I do very well with my method .  I just always saw vests as one of those things that every new turkey hunter runs out and buys because they think ya just gotta have one if your gonna be a real turkey hunter.
Now... Am I missing out on something that is indeed that useful ?  And am I a minority here or does anybody else take the vest-less approach ?
if you carry a backpack and a chair you might as well have a vest, lol. just sayin.

tha bugman

This was me.  I really liked not being worried with the vest but found myself really missing having more "tools" with me. 
Quote from: Gobble! on February 24, 2015, 09:03:28 AM
I got away from a vest for a year or two but I do too much sitting and leaning against trees to not have a nice seat and back pads.

Bigspurs68

I wear a light vest with not much in it. It's just a habit to grab my vest every morning and know that all my stuff is there. Plus it gives ma a pouch to put bags of morels in.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Swamp Hunter

I use a vest for all the reasons previously mentioned and I also use it to pack my turkeys out after the hunt. It is a lot easier and less bloody to carry a 19lb tom in a game bag rather than hanging over your shoulder on a mile long hike out of the swamp.  I have done it both ways and I will never hunt turkeys without a vest again.

beagler

No vest. I use a fanny pack with  box call /slate holders on the belt. No need for a vest.
Never Misses

Gooserbat

I keep my vest stocked with calls, shells, and necessities like baby wipes, and powder.  I find it much easier to pick up a vest and a shotgun to head to the woods than stocking each shirt and pant pock each time I head afield.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

born2hunt

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 25, 2015, 10:24:22 PM
I keep my vest stocked with calls, shells, and necessities like baby wipes, and powder.  I find it much easier to pick up a vest and a shotgun to head to the woods than stocking each shirt and pant pock each time I head afield.
oh trust me, all I might need is kept in my pack.Even a hydration bladder.  I don't need to grab anything else but my gun.  I'm just wondering if vests keep things at hand that much better. I've just never tried one out.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Green Trumpeter

I use a vest but have considered ditching it, I usually sit in a gobbler longer anyways so I don't need the seat and I could store the calls I need just as well in a belt style pack like the one RutnNStrutn posted.

I would definitely prefer the vest to a backpack just for organization and ease of access to calls, shells, etc.

tomstopper

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 25, 2015, 10:24:22 PM
^^^This

Turkeyman62

I mix it up between a vest , fanny pack and back pack.
A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..