turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your favorite setting?

Started by Blong, February 23, 2015, 02:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Being a Florida flatlander, and killing most of my gobblers in FLA and in the Lowcountry of SC, I take those settings for granted, and love totally different settings. Probably the two coolest places I've hunted were Nebraska and California. In NW Nebraska, the grassy plains give way to rocky buttes, and it is absolutely gorgeous country out there!! In central California, I hunted in the mountains about 3,500 feet up (yeah, yeah, I know, remember, I said I'm a Florida flatlander!!! ;D). That too though was absolutely gorgeous!!
That's what I love about traveling to other states to hunt, is seeing the gorgeous terrain that makes America beautiful. :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an

LARRYHAYNES

Our hunting land that we currently have. It's in alabama and borders the tallapoosa river. Hardwoods and pines with the dogwoods blooming and turkeys sounding off. It cant get any better IMO.
LARRY

Marc

Garnering permission to hunt in California is a feat in and of itself...  When I first started turkey hunting, I acquired access on a ranch with steep hillsides bordering a walnut grove...  The birds would fly off the roost, and loaf in and around that orchard all day...  Lots of birds.

Catch was, the owner would not let me hunt the orchard, cause he did not feel it was sporting (and he was right)...  Hunting that steep hillside was where I cut my teeth, and killed a few birds.  I learned a lot about turkeys and turkey hunting on that ranch, and as many birds were living in that area, I earned every one of them.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

El Pavo Grande

I love hunting hardwood ridges, but my favorite has to be a hardwood river bottom.  Sloughs, snakes, mud....it all adds to the experience.  I have a couple of particular spots that I hold in high regard.  Nothing like watching an old swamp gobbler work his way in under the canopy of giant oak trees.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: El Pavo Grande on February 23, 2015, 11:54:00 PM
I love hunting hardwood ridges, but my favorite has to be a hardwood river bottom.  Sloughs, snakes, mud....it all adds to the experience.  I have a couple of particular spots that I hold in high regard.  Nothing like watching an old swamp gobbler work his way in under the canopy of giant oak trees.
My favorite setting when hunting FLA or SC. :icon_thumright:

Tail Feathers

I've had the privilege of hunting some beautiful spots.  But sitting up against a huge cottonwood in NW Nebraska on the last evening and watching 26 beautiful Merriam's turkeys fly up 40 yards from me as the sun was setting is a memory I will always cherish. 
The boss was in those 26 birds too.  Never did kill him.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mudhen

"Bays" in crop fields....decoy in the bay...find a nice shady tree...settle in for a nice hunt (or nap, both are good)....and just relaaaaxxxx.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

ElkTurkMan

For me it would be the bluff country of Northeastern Iowa along the Mississippi River.    That is where I learned to turkey hunt, and I have some fine memories up there.

CT Spur Collector

Hunted them in quite a few different places BUT I'll take the ridge tops of Western Pa or WV any day.

Nothing like it on a crisp early spring day.  Whew!

albrubacker

Calling them in from one end of a grass runway to other. Approx 600 yrds.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

870supermagnum

I've only hunted NE Florida and SE Georgia, but have some great memories. My most memoriable setting was in a Cypress hardwood swamp at sun up, listening to the woods wake up and hearing three gobblers sounded off in a gobbling contest.  I can close my eyes and see and hear all over again.   :)

Trax

The first bird I ever took ended up being a jake. I had hunted hard the weeks leading up to that day in my first season, and had missed two long beards already. My confidence was pretty low at that point, and to complicate things I was hiking in to a new piece of land, public, about an hour before sunrise on a tip from a buddy who was hunting the area the days prior, and who had worked a couple birds but wasn't able to make it happen.
So I was hiking up this big hill to a ridge line when the sun started lighting things up not knowing where I was going. An owl set off a couple gobblers across this lake. They could've been a mile or more away, and my heart kind of sank a little because there weren't any birds near me. I called a little bit, got no response.
When I finally huffed and puffed my way to the top of this hill, the sun had just broken the horizon, beams of light where coming through the clouds and illuminating this big flat ridge top. Massive hackberries and poplars mostly, but it was still early in the year, so no leaves were up, but the forest floor was blanketed in fringed phacelia, just about calf high.

This stuff:

I thought "man, it's cool just to be up here, turkey or not" and just about that time I spotted a couple morel mushrooms and started popping them into my vest. I'd find one, then another, then three or four in a bunch. I looked at my watch and it said 7:15. "way too early to be out here picking mushrooms"
So I sat down at the base of this big hackberry and let out a couple half-hearted yelps, and a gobbler fires back at me immediately. He couldn't have been more than 75 yards away. Yelp again, he cuts me off, closer this time, so I get my gun ready. He came right in just like they do on TV and so I let him have it at about 25 yards. After the shot, I didn't see him, and I thought Id missed a 3rd bird but I ran to the spot and there was. My prize, laying in the phacelia on that ridge top. I let out a yowl so big that Im sure everyone on the lake that day thought there must have been a maniac loose up in the hills. It wasn't until I called my buddies and had them meet me to show them the bird that they told me it was "just a jake", which I didnt really even know what that meant, and hadn't noticed in all the excitement.

That's just a long way of saying that an open ridge top in Tennessee is where I feel like I need to be hunting. Cant stand sitting at the edge of a pasture watching the grass grow. I like to be in the woods.

By the way, that jake tasted great fried up with those morels.

contagious

Big river bottoms of south Alabama.!!

hoyt

I really don't have a favorite terrain setting...as long as it's in the deep woods and not in big pastures or fields...only because the gobble is so much louder in the woods than the open spaces. Especially when in the same draw, drainage or hollow.

When I hunted the public lands of SW Fl. One of my favorite conditions used to be in a drought year. No mosquitoes and the cypress ponds would be dry and filled with lush green grass.

A few pictures of why I liked these conditions.

That green grass is the deepest hole in head and goes dry last.

When the grass is high enough on the edges you can get down in it and be concealed really good.