North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What Kind of Hunter are you????

Started by redleg06, March 22, 2011, 08:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you a "let it happen" turkey hunter or a "make it happen" kind of guy and why?

I like to let it happen...I'd rather play it safe than risk bumping a bird
21 (19.6%)
I'm going to mix it up and make it happen....you cant make an omelette without breaking some eggs..
86 (80.4%)

Total Members Voted: 100

redleg06

I thought this would be interesting to see how you guys prefer to approach turkey hunting. Obviously there is no hard and fast rule and it will vary by situation but we all know if we tend to be more passive or aggressive in our hunting styles.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on why you hunt the way you do.

harvester

I don't have alot of time or the patience to spend just settin next to a field waiting on a bird to show. I need to make something happen if it is going to. I prefer the run and gun method and gettin in tight with them, given the terrain allows it. I like GETN R DONE.  :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley: :z-guntootsmiley:
:fud: :newmascot:

LilFridWV

:fud:I'm a aggressive hunter when it comes to turkeys. I've had success with calling a lot to a gobbler then picking up and move 30 yards away while calling. My brother who I hunt with is passive towards turkey hunting. He likes to call soft to turkeys and make it seem like the hen isn't interested. Ill admit that this has worked. Its whatever works at any given moment.

Muskie03

Being patient is boring. It's not fun. It's not my thing. I was let loose in the woods at home when I was 5, I'm 26 now. That's 21 years of practice. I'm a way better woodsman than a patient hunter. Same with deer hunting, I like creepin' through the woods.
Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

sugarray

I hunt both ways, depending on if I am by myself or have my 6 yo with me.  He sure can't run around like I can so we spend more time sitting in the blind.  By myself, I moved a lot more this past year than the year before.  I plan to move more to make things happen more this year than the last 2.  We'll see.  Still need to get these WV birds figured out.  We don't open until April 25th though.

turkey slayer

I am both also. It just depends on the part off the season.

bowhunter84

contagious

All depends on what the bird wants !!,i have several places that i can listen from in the morning,then go to the gobbler and see what he wants to do.A few calls will usually tell you if he is with hens or what he wants to do,and adjust to what kind of mood he's in.

GAbird

Very aggressive.  I like the pursuit.  Although I have worked on patience and not over calling the past couple of seasons and it definitely pays off.

shootumindaface

stinkpickle

Most of the farms I hunt are really small, so I definitely spend more time playing it safe.

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

hookedspur

Quote from: GAbird on March 22, 2011, 09:59:14 AM
Very aggressive.  I like the pursuit.  Although I have worked on patience and not over calling the past couple of seasons and it definitely pays off.
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

guesswho

I make it happen, but at the turkey's pace.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mnturkey

I usually have patience and try to wait birds out.
SEMPER FI