turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Win Supreme Elite ER HD #6 vs. Hevi-13 #7 availability and cost

Started by 870supermagnum, February 23, 2015, 10:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870supermagnum

For the past couple of years I've hunted using Win Supreme Elite ER HD #6 (STXS12L6) with good success. Last season I waited late to buy some shells and couldn't find the Winchester shells anywhere, so I bought some Hevi-13 #6 (couldn't find #7).

My questions are, why are the Winchester shells so hard to find, and why do you get twice as many Winchester shells per box (10) than Hevi-13 (5) for almost the same price?  ???

PALongspur

The Xtended Range shells from Winchester have been out of production for about three years now.

870supermagnum

PALlongspur, you're correct. I just spoke to Donny at Winchester Ammunition and the Extended Range shells were discontinued about three years ago.   :'(   Thanks for your quick reply.

Twowithone

I think LongBeards replaced EXT/Range. New name different image sells more ammo. Its good stuff that's what I use in my Winchester1300. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

K9Doc

Yes the new Lonbeards pattern well, but it will
NEVER perform as well as the Hevi or Original
Extended Range due to density.
Image when Hevi begins using the same
technology.
Longbeards are still just LEAD
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

blueridgegobbler

Look at your new hevi densities not a big enough difference from lead to make a difference you have to go with heavyweight or tss to gain significant difference

Skeeterbait

I respectfully disagree sir.  Weight is not the only difference.  Yes the old Winchester XR shot is only a little heavier than lead but it is considerably harder.  The problem with lead shot is it tends to deform against each other when the trigger is pulled.  There is a lot of inertia force when the shell is fired and this causes the soft lead pellets to deform against each other creating flat spots.  Ever thrown a baseball with a flat spot on it?  It is easy to make it curve.  These flat spotted lead pellets do the same thing opening up the pattern. Winchester XR has considerably tighter patterns than lead because both it is a little heavier, but also because no flat spot is going to form on the hard pellets.  This is exactly what the Longbeard shell is attempting to correct in lead pellets.  The resin the shot is contained in is supposed to protect the shot from deforming.  It seems to have some success in doing so, However the patterns I have fired still were not as tight as the XR shells. 

870supermagnum

Skeeterbait, I agree with you 100%.  I sure wish Winchester wouldn't have stopped making the XR HD shells.

mudhen

H-13 just keeps going up, cheapest I paid was $17.00 per 5 a few years ago (can't remember the price when they were a 10/pk)....

Now H-13 is $31-$33 a five pack....

I agree, Win XRD were fast, and the pellets were very effective....

I'd like to know why LB is $22 per 10, and Win HV was $9....epoxy is expensive????...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

SKFOOTER

Simmons Sporting Goods in Bastrop, La. has the 3" Hevi for $19.99 per box of 5.  Check out their website.

Gobble!

Quote from: blueridgegobbler on February 23, 2015, 01:13:28 PM
Look at your new hevi densities not a big enough difference from lead to make a difference you have to go with heavyweight or tss to gain significant difference

False.

albrubacker

Quote from: 870supermagnum on February 24, 2015, 10:12:56 AM
Skeeterbait, I agree with you 100%.  I sure wish Winchester wouldn't have stopped making the XR HD shells.
I agree! Love them shells.

Keep in mind Hevi is offering a $10 rebate.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Britton40

I never could get the Win XR to pattern worth a crap. 3" #6.

SKFOOTER

Britton40

Quote from: SKFOOTER on February 24, 2015, 09:15:31 PM
Quote from: Britton40 on February 24, 2015, 05:52:39 PM
I never could get the Win XR to pattern worth a crap. 3" #6.
What gun and chokes did you try?

SBE with a 650 sumtoy, comp n choke 668, pure fold 670.