turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Right or wrong

Started by soky, February 23, 2015, 12:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut2

I won't shoot a bird if I don't call it in. I don't spot and stalk or sit in a blind with decoys. Nothing wrong with any of these styles. The thrill of calling in a bird is what it's all about for me. The connection made by calling a bird is indescribable for me.

RemingtonRules

If everyone did what I want the world would be a better place and people would seem a lot smarter to me.

rusty4269

Quote from: RemingtonRules on February 23, 2015, 09:45:32 AM
If everyone did what I want the world would be a better place and people would seem a lot smarter to me.
Agreed!

Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11

Swampchickin234

I can't remember where I saw it but I read something not to long ago about this. The guy was basically saying that how is fanning and decoying not ethical when hunters use precision chokes, htl shot, (even the big push with 60 yard shots with longbeards).  I'm in that opinion.  How can we say that using decoys is unethical when one of our buddies starts talking about a 76 yard shot he made and that he can do it from now on?  That's unethical to me.  Where it is legal, I say go for it.  I have had succes with and without decoys and I have not thought "man that sure didn't mean as much as one without a decoy.  No, I've never fanned.  Have never had the opportunity, and I probably wouldn't do it.  However, I don't thank it's right to slam Peaple for using successful tools as a way to get there bird.  Some Peaple enjoy the spring woods but because of work and family, only get to hunt a few days a year.   if it helps make them happy to see a longbeard hammer the jake decoy then buy all means if it is legal, go for it. If we really wanted to go back to ethics, lets ditch the chokes, htl, sights, calls, seats, camo, etc.. And go back to winchester model 12s with 23/4 inch 4s.   But at the same time, you could say we are very ethical for using such productive equipment???  In my opinion it i that beauty is in the eyes if the beholder.  Do what is legal always, and be happy that you're blessed enough to be there.   Just my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ol bob

Season comes in N. C. about 3 to 4 weeks late every year you use every thing that is legal to get one. year before last I saw a hen with chicks the last week of season. I would like someone in charge to tell me how the season is not coming in to late it makes hunting them a pain in the rear.

GSLAM95

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 23, 2015, 04:40:17 AM
As long as its legal and ethical, I don't believe its a question of right or wrong, but a personal choice of whether to use or not to use.

I harvested my fair share of turkeys over the years without decoys, chairs, blinds and such, but I use them now as the situation allows, or deems their use. I enjoy my turkey chair, watching the reaction of birds to my decoys, and spending a  rainy day in the field in my blind, staying warm and dry.

When the other guy pays my bills, I'll worry about what he thinks...until then, I'm going to enjoy my hunting, my way.

Gman

Well said...

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Timmer

Quote from: strut2 on February 23, 2015, 09:37:13 AM
I won't shoot a bird if I don't call it in...... Nothing wrong with any of these styles. The thrill of calling in a bird is what it's all about for me.

Similar.  As long as it's legal I'm not going to judge.  I do use a blind in bad weather or when I have a kid along.  However, it's all about the dance with the bird and calling him in.  No ambushing in my world.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Rio Fan

Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2015, 07:32:48 AM
I wish everybody used them, except me.

guesswho-
So you don't actually use your BodonkaDeke to kill turkeys?   ;D

guesswho

It's in a class by itself.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

As long as its legal and ethical, I don't believe its a question of right or wrong, but a personal choice of whether to use or not to use.
I harvested my fair share of turkeys over the years without decoys, chairs, blinds and such, but I use them now as the situation allows, or deems their use. I enjoy my turkey chair, watching the reaction of birds to my decoys, and spending a  rainy day in the field in my blind, staying warm and dry.
When the other guy pays my bills, I'll worry about what he thinks...until then, I'm going to enjoy my hunting, my way.
This!!! ^^^
It still baffles me why some guys go off on people they don't even know on forums, simply because they employ different tactics. ??? If you don't like it, don't do it!! But if it is legal, and ethical (which is another discussion, because people differ on ethics as well), don't criticize another hunter for doing it. To each their own, kumbaya!! ;) ;D

Gooserbat

Reminds me of the recurve/compound/crossbow debate.  No winner there either.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

tomstopper

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on February 23, 2015, 11:51:18 AM
This!!! ^^^
It still baffles me why some guys go off on people they don't even know on forums, simply because they employ different tactics. ??? If you don't like it, don't do it!! But if it is legal, and ethical (which is another discussion, because people differ on ethics as well), don't criticize another hunter for doing it. To each their own, kumbaya!! ;) ;D

Well Said.......

mgm1955

Quote from: strutnrut on February 23, 2015, 06:44:52 AM
Why must this topic always come up. It has caused more problems on every forum out there. IF you use decoy fine IF NOT fine. I dont think most people really care what you use as long as it is legal.
:agreed:

Gobble!

No problem with it here. Actually plan on trying it this year if the situation comes up.