turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Right or wrong

Started by soky, February 23, 2015, 12:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soky

I just came across a post where a few people were debating the use of decoys and it reminded me of a conversation I recently had with a friend of mine. On the topic of "fanning" a bird or using one of those death traps that strap to your barrel, do you guys feel that something is taken away from a hunt using these tactics? Myself I feel very hypocritical talking about it because I've never looked at decoys the same way. Let me know what you think

Gamblinman

As long as its legal and ethical, I don't believe its a question of right or wrong, but a personal choice of whether to use or not to use.

I harvested my fair share of turkeys over the years without decoys, chairs, blinds and such, but I use them now as the situation allows, or deems their use. I enjoy my turkey chair, watching the reaction of birds to my decoys, and spending a  rainy day in the field in my blind, staying warm and dry.

When the other guy pays my bills, I'll worry about what he thinks...until then, I'm going to enjoy my hunting, my way.

Gman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

2eagles

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 23, 2015, 04:40:17 AM
As long as its legal and ethical, I don't believe its a question of right or wrong, but a personal choice of whether to use or not to use.

Gman

I couldn't agree more!

owlhoot

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 23, 2015, 04:40:17 AM

I harvested my fair share of turkeys over the years without decoys, chairs, blinds and such, but I use them now as the situation allows, or deems their use. I enjoy my turkey chair, watching the reaction of birds to my decoys, and spending a  rainy day in the field in my blind, staying warm and dry.

When the other guy pays my bills, I'll worry about what he thinks...until then, I'm going to enjoy my hunting, my way.
Agreed , hunted turkeys since the 70's , used chairs, blinds decoys , different guns etc.Have taken kids, elderly, and even a fella who couldn't hear.  Was satisfied with every turkey taken.

deerbasshunter3

As others seem to agree, I believe it is a personal choice, as long as it is legal and ethical.

If by fanning you mean just strapping a fan to your gun, then I don't see it as being any different than a decoy or a blind (Kind of a mixture of the two really.). It is just another way of hiding yourself from the animal.

If by fanning you mean these guys who strap a fan to their gun and use it to move closer to a turkey, then I see it as just another way people are taking a sport to the extreme. If it is legal and ethical, I see no problem with somebody else doing it. I, personally, do not and would not care for that tactic.

It all boils down to what is legal and ethical. I don't see any situation where one person should have say so over what another does, unless it involves creating the law, rules, etc...

strutnrut

Why must this topic always come up. It has caused more problems on every forum out there. IF you use decoy fine IF NOT fine. I dont think most people really care what you use as long as it is legal.

zeke632

How somebody else kills a turkey is none of my business.

I've carried decoys a few times and dont like packing them around. To much trouble for me.  I'm not strapping someting to me or my gun that looks like a turkey. To Skeerd to try that. I have & will probably again try to crawl on a turkey, just no feathers on me.

I say go for it if thats what you want to do.

hunter22

Quote from: strutnrut on February 23, 2015, 06:44:52 AM
IF you use decoy fine IF NOT fine. I dont think most people really care what you use as long as it is legal.

TauntoHawk

I don't use them often but I feel no different about the birds I've shot using them. It'd be like saying hunting turkeys in fields isn't as ethical as chasing them in the timber.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

I wish everybody used them, except me.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

M Sharpe

I always consider safety first!!! I hear people say they don't use a gobble call, but then sit up behind a strutting gobbler! If decoys are legal where you hunt and you feel safe, then that's your choice. Crawling up to a gobbler with a fan strapped to your gun barrell, legal... yes, safe... no. I guess it just boils down to just how bad you want to kill one. "Ethical".......well that is left open to each individuals interputation.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

TURKEYWHACKER

To each his own, as long as it's within the law. I cheered the day Florida removed rifles from the spring woods.

catdaddy

Why should I spend any energy caring how other people hunt?  I dont and find others that do very curious.

GobbleNut

Decoys and fans are simply turkey hunting tools.  There are places and conditions where they are important to success,...and there are just as many places where they can be more detrimental than they are good.

When I hunt my normal stomping grounds, I don't use them,...and if I see someone else using them, I say to myself,..."This guy doesn't have a clue about how to hunt turkeys here."  And by the same token, I have hunted other places where I looked at the situation and circumstances and said,..."Hmmm, I really should have some decoys to put out here". 

There are tactics and tools that can be used in certain situations that will definitely increase a guy's odds of success.  Sometimes the use of visual aids is one of them,...and sometimes their use hurts your chances.  A consistently successful turkey hunter learns how to tell which is which,...and then uses the tool when it is deemed necessary for the place and conditions. 

I only have a handful of "hard and fast" rules that I adhere to.  I won't shoot turkeys out of their roosts.  I won't shoot turkeys over feeders or artificial bait piles.  I won't shoot turkeys by road hunting them.  And I won't shoot turkeys with a rifle.  ...Whether any of those are legal or not. 

rusty4269

I haven't been turkey hunting very long but I've been hunting since I was big enough to carry a gun. I read a lot of forums on hunting and most all have some "controversy" (for lack of a better word) on one thing or another. I wouldn't fret too much about others opinions, because it's just that, an opinion. If you stay within the law, safe, and the main thing have fun, then go for it. After all, isn't it about having fun and putting deep fried turkey nuggets on the table?

Jeremiah 29:11
Jeremiah 29:11