turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

knocked him down to watch him fly away

Started by thndrchkn, March 22, 2011, 08:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thndrchkn

sunday morning....  got on a bird early that had 30+ hens with him just to watch him leave with his entorage.  in the process another bird started gobbling good a long way off.  figured what the heck, lets go get him.  we realized after getting closer that he was across four lanes of traffic, but still answering every time we touched the call.  15 min later this bird decides he wants to cross the road.  he pitched up and over hwy 231 barely missing getting hit by about 1/2 second.  he immediately hits the ground and starts strutting again.  he works his way to about 35-40 yrds, i pull the trigger he hits the ground flopping.  on my way to him he stands up, runs 50 yards, i pull the trigger again and he flies away never to be seen again...   for the past two nights i cant sleep.  keep replaying it over and over in my head.  this has got to stop.   :character0029:

Turkeydan

That is the lowest feeling...stays with you all year. Happened to me a couple of times. Ughhh!

bowhunter84

i had it happen to me a few years ago. it is an horrible feeling. i still play it in my mind over and over again.

chcltlabz

Sounds like a body shot.

My great uncle had a saying  "you kill the head, the (butt) will die, it doesn't always work the other way"

It is a sick feeling, but its the circle of life.  He very well could live just fine, but if he doesn't, rest assured, something will eat him.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

gatrapper

Had something similar happen last year.  I shot a bird and he ran like 5 yards and tipped over.  I run up there and step on his head and he stops flopping.  I pick him up and take him out of some thick stuff for a picture and I toss him on the ground and he pops right back up and runs.  I was lucky to have quick reactions and I was able to bust him again. 

From that day on once I get up a bird I put my foot on his head and stab his head/neck with a knife.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gold Spur

Been there and done that. The quickest way to get over that sick feeling is to down another bird. Best of luck to ya!!!
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

Tail Feathers

That's a horrible feeling.

I had it a few years back.  Shot one at 35 yards.  As I walked up I realized he was looking at me.  I squared off to shoot again and he took off running.  Missed a running away shot at about 10 yards and never did find that bird.  Still makes me feel bad thinking about it.  But whoever said killing another bird will help you....they are right.
Good luck! :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mudhen

Hunt enough and it will happen  :(

Get back in the game  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

turkey slayer

Nimrodmar10

When I was younger, and a hundred pounds lighter, when I shot a tom I'd jump up and run to the bird and put a foot on his head to make sure he finished flopping where he started. Forty something years of climbing the turkey ridges has now made it take longer to get up and run to a turkey. When I quit doing that I realized that a man is better off to just sit there for a minute or two with a fresh shell in the chamber to see if the turkey needs another dose. It's a whole lot easier to hit a turkey a second time if you're still sitting there with your shotgun braced on your knee than it is to hit one while you're running.

All these stories seem to have a common thread. They are all 35-45 yard shots. I'm wondering what shot size you were using. Was it some of the new super-duper Hevi 7s? I'm wondering if they'd have run off if they were 30 yards or less.

thndrchkn

i'm liking the idea about sitting and waiting...  not a bad idea

i swapped to hevi-shot #6 that seemed to pattern a little better, rather than my normal 5's   im not blaming it on the shells by any means but curious if it would've have made a difference. 

NOTE TO SELF:  shoot his butt in the head  haha

Spring Creek Calls

I'm sorry for the bad ending, but I don't know anyone that's been around the turkey woods for awhile that hasn't seen one fly away with his head shot off! It happens to all of us. I know that doesn't make it feel any better.

:anim_25:
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

perrysbirds

Yep I had that happen to me as well.
The happy feeling soon turns to "What the heck just happened"
If I aint out shooting deer
Im home drinking beer

WyoHunter

A similar incident happened to me years ago. I shot him at about 40 yards and when I got within 20 yards he took off running and then flying. Un fortunately for him I'm a very good wingshot and down he came - DEAD!
I'll bet the next time you shoot a bird you'll be on him pretty quick and ready for his attempted getaway!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!