OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What load for ill-equiped hunters?

Started by vpsalin, February 22, 2015, 11:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vpsalin

Your friends show up to camp with nothing but their regular full-choke guns and an assortment of 2 3/4 shells  :OGturkeyhead:. Which of these standard loads would you expect to perform best?

2 3/4 HighBrass #4
2 3/4 HighBrass #5
2 3/4 HighBrass #6

Will a #4 which misses the neck but strikes the body be fatal on a OG?
1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

WV Ridge Reaper

Id find a new friend to turkey hunt with.

GobbleNut

More important than the load is the maximum distance that hunter should shoot.  With those choices, I would say that he should not shoot more than thirty yards with any of them,...and of course, head and neck shots only.  A body shot with any of them would likely result in an escaped, wounded gobbler.  Having to make a choice on one of the three shot sizes, I would say use the 6's and keep the range under thirty yards. 

Gooserbat

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 22, 2015, 11:54:42 AM
More important than the load is the maximum distance that hunter should shoot.  With those choices, I would say that he should not shoot more than thirty yards with any of them,...and of course, head and neck shots only.  A body shot with any of them would likely result in an escaped, wounded gobbler.  Having to make a choice on one of the three shot sizes, I would say use the 6's and keep the range under thirty yards.

This
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

paboxcall

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 22, 2015, 11:54:42 AM

Agree...shooting bead sight, assuming the PoA matches the PoI...Call them close rule of the day at that camp. 

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

silvestris

I killed a bunch of them with XX Magnums in the 70s with a setup like that.  The XXMagnums were nothing but high brass shells with buffer.  I did have the sense to do some rudimentary patterning to have an idea of what my killing range was.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

dirt road ninja

Quote from: vpsalin on February 22, 2015, 11:44:19 AM
Your friends show up to camp with nothing but their regular full-choke guns and an assortment of 2 3/4 shells  :OGturkeyhead:. Which of these standard loads would you expect to perform best?

2 3/4 HighBrass #4
2 3/4 HighBrass #5
2 3/4 HighBrass #6

I shot 3" lead 5's for years shooting my factory full or factory turkey choke. Patterning was done on a paper plate at 30 yards or so.  To answer your questions, I pick the 6's.

Yes, 4's will kill body shooting, but he best be inside of 10-15 yards and you better be able to run.

born2hunt

With out checking the pattern I would not be fully confident to 30 but its almost safe to say that just about any 12 gauge and a high brass 6  will suffice to 20 or a tad over. I think that all pellets in the body can help but it aint a sure thing with out a few in the neck and noggin. 

The bad thing, is that a ton of folks do this each year. Way to many people go to the woods with no idea about there pattern, and kill birds with the lucky pellet. I know a few guys who tote their Modified and Improved choked guns hunting  (witch is perfectly fine if thats all ya have) but they have no range limitations set. I can preach to them till blue in the face but they just cant get it. And once they come back bragging about the bird they "luckily" killed at 40 yards they sure don't see any reason for change then. Its just a matter of time till they feed the coyotes some fresh turkey. The good thing is that they cant call either so their encounters are rare  :happy0064:
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

davisd9

I would walk in and grab a shotgun to hand them to hunt with. Then instruct them this is their last hunt with me if then cannot become "better prepared".

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jblackburn

I'd say get out the patterning board and show them their effective range.  With a full choke, I would guess that the 4s would be the ticket.

I have an old single shot Iver Johnson gun that was my great uncle's that I intend to kill a bird with.  It has a full choke and does pretty well at 30 yards with 2 3/4 number 4 federals with the flight control wad. Yes they are turkey loads, but until I found them I was planning on using Remington Express high brass 4s, they were fine at 30 yards, too.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

catdaddy

2 3/4 HighBrass #4
2 3/4 HighBrass #5
2 3/4 HighBrass #6

I wouldn't get my knickers in a wad if they showed up with a full choke and high brass 2 3/4--there has been a ton of turkeys killed with this set up. In the early days, I killed a ton of turkeys with a 28 inch modified barrel using 3 inch #4s.   

drum817

1st thing I'd try to actually pattern the gun.  If that's not an option then I'd shoot the 2 3/4" 6's & hold the shot at 30 yards.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

jakesdad

2 3/4 HighBrass #4
2 3/4 HighBrass #5
2 3/4 HighBrass #6

Can't be any worse than having a guy show up(on an out of state hunt nonetheless)in camp with a 12 gauge with a modified choke and a box of steel 4's he used duck hunting."Good enough to kill ducks with oughta bring down a turkey". He went home empty handed and I dont plan on sharing any camp again with him soon.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

owlhoot

No matter what they use, pattern it. At least they brought an assortment to try.
Full chokes , that is good. High brass is good. 4, 5, 6 is good. Lots of us started and killed lots of turkeys before with modified or full choke guns and high brass or magnum 2 3/4"  shells which have more velocity than some of the longer shells loaded with heavier shot charges now.

At least no 7 1/2 dove and quail loads were to be used.

perrytrails

I've been there. All you can do is ask if they patterned the gun and know its limits. Maybe offer one of your proven guns for them to use.

Some people just don't take it as serious as the rest of us. Or maybe don't have the money to invest at that  time.

I have given my gun to several people in the past, then just set up and called for them. Probably the best thing you can do if you planned to hunt together, as in setting up on the same bird.

Or just send them up the ridge on the other side of the road, wish them luck. Bout all you can do...