OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossburg 835

Started by Coreywelch835, February 22, 2015, 12:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coreywelch835

Does anybody here shoot a Mossburg 835 with a Jebs .655? If so have you tried any Hevi-13 straight 7s?? Or what is yalls set up? Thanks in advance!

dirt road ninja

I have never tried a Jeb's-good looking tube, but .655 seems tight for the fat barreled 835's.

Mike Honcho

I agree with dirt road ninja , the 835 has an "overbored" barrel....ie larger diameter.  I think .670 is closer to what you want or even larger.  The popular Star Dot choke for 835's measures .676

Coreywelch835

I understand that the .655 seems tight but Jebs choke tubes are supposedly different from other tubes. Not 100% sure but that's my understanding. Have yall ever shot 7s?

bbcoach

:welcomeOG:  Corey, many on here shoot the 835 and I'm one of those.  The 835 normally shoots best with chokes in the .670 to .680 range.  The .655 maybe too tight but the only way to determine that is for you to shoot it and see.  I shoot the .670 Pure Gold in mine with Hevi 7's with GREAT results.  Some other chokes that do really well are the .670 SSX., .675 Indian creek, .675 Sumtoy and the .676 Stardot. 

Coreywelch835

Thanks for the info guys, I've been shooting the .655 Jebs for a while but have gone from 280+ pellets in 10" circle now to barely 150. I have no idea what's goin on with this gun so when I get home from offshore tomorrow I am gonna try some #7s. I've neeve shot the 7s. I may need to get them to send me a .665-.670

dirt road ninja

What are you turning 280 with? I turn about that with 7's out of both of my Mossy's.

M Sharpe

Surprised they even make a choke that tight for this gun! Are you shooting 3" or 3 1/2" through it? 2 oz. or 2 1/4 oz.?Seems it might would swell your barrel a little bit. Will it come out??
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Coreywelch835

That was with Longbeard XR 6s. I don't like shootin lead at all but it patterned great last year and now this year it patterned terrible. Same box of shells, same gun, same choke, just a year older! Not quite sure what has happened with my gun.

Wayne D Davis

Also shooting the (older model) 835....I been shooting with Primos TightWad .690 but its ported and I'm experimenting with new loads (Fed 3rd Degree performs better in solid choke)...so I picked up a Carlson .690...have yet to pattern it

Coreywelch835

Mine is also the older 835.

Gobble!

280s down to 150s, something had to happen. Bad batch of shells, POI issues, damaged choke, something went wrong there.
That .655 seems crazy tight for a 835 but 280s is smoking!!

Mike Honcho

Temperature can make a lot of difference in pattern numbers.  Also whether the barrel is clean or dirty.

Coreywelch835

Shot before and after I polished the barrel, still didn't improve. POI is good, the pattern has just fallen apart by sittin in the gun safe since last May. I have no idea. Same box of shells as last year so that's not the problem. Temps were in the 60s

Gobble!

Quote from: Coreywelch835 on February 22, 2015, 09:58:36 AM
Shot before and after I polished the barrel, still didn't improve. POI is good, the pattern has just fallen apart by sittin in the gun safe since last May. I have no idea. Same box of shells as last year so that's not the problem. Temps were in the 60s

Did you inspect the choke? Sounds very weird.