turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Two in on day? Season over

Started by g8rvet, February 20, 2015, 06:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Florida is allowing this year, for birds taken on private land, to harvest your season bag limit on the same day (2 birds, same day, still 2 per spring).  Has been 1 per day, 2 per season.

Several times in the past, I would have been able to kill 2 birds on the same hunt.  Not 2 in one shot, but kill one and have another hang around and peck the victim.

Would be hard early in the season to just end it all in one day and I don't know what I will do. I do know I have enough friends and family that hunt, leaving my gun at home and just calling would still be a blast, so I am not sure what I will do.  I would say in the last 10 years, I probably only fill one tag about 1/2 of the time, so it is not like #2 is a slam dunk every year.  A lot of times after I kill #1 I am more into helping others get theirs, so I don't think it would affect me much to end it soon.

Anyone else in a legal state fill their tag early and regret it?  Anyone pass and regret it?  Just curious.  Hopefully I have to make a game day decision! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Tail Feathers

Guides may like it.  Get the guy done and gone and bring in another client. 
If I was hunting my local spot, I probably wouldn't take advantage of that.  I'd want the opportunity to come back for another hunt.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

guesswho

I hunt Georgia and you can kill three in one shot if you choose to do so.  I won't do it.  I'm a one bird per hunt kind of guy.  But thirty minutes after I've killed is another hunt.  I have killed three in a day, but it was three hunts spread over about six hours.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Green Trumpeter

Only can take 1 per day up here in Ontario but even if I could fill both tags in one day I never would.  I enjoy the whole process of the hunt too much to have my season end in one outing.

hobbes

Quote from: guesswho on February 20, 2015, 07:09:03 PM
I hunt Georgia and you can kill three in one shot if you choose to do so.  I won't do it.  I'm a one bird per hunt kind of guy.  But thirty minutes after I've killed is another hunt.  I have killed three in a day, but it was three hunts spread over about six hours.

I'd prefer this. 

I don't mind two being killed on one set up as long as I've got a buddy or one of my kids along.  I don't want to end the season that quick.  However,  traveling to an additional state or two is a good way to cure that problem.

Gamblinman

Can kill 4 in one day here in Texas. I have done it when I'm traveling to multiple states in the past.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

alloutdoors

Only one per day here in NY in the spring, even if we could kill two at once I'm not sure I would under most circumstances (late in the season or knowing you had limited time left to hunt would be exceptions). If I'm traveling though and I've spent a couple hundred on an out of state license and probably only have a few days to hunt anyway then I am absolutely going to take multiple birds if it's allowed and the opportunity presents itself.

owlhoot

A friend and myself shot 4 in Kansas a few years back. We were all smirks and smiles until it dawned that Missouri was 2 weeks away. Now i like getting that opening day bird, but after that i could hunt til the last day and bird or no bird be entirely satisfied with the season.

mgm1955

Quote from: Gamblinman on February 20, 2015, 07:46:40 PM
Can kill 4 in one day here in Texas. I have done it when I'm traveling to multiple states in the past.

Gman
Done it myself under similar circumstances.

Bigspurs68

If I were on a trip and the opportunity came up, then yep. I'd pop 2. If I only hunted one state each spring, it would kill me to be done in one day.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

Gobble!

Wouldn't think twice. I know enough people who would like to hunt with me.

silvestris

My thought has always been that you cheat yourself or someone else of a recreational experience, maybe several recreational experiences without doubling or tripling or quadrupling the experience.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

gobbler777

one per day, two per season in Maryland
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

crappieangler

If I have plans in other states, I would be more prone to doubling in my home state.  If I have friends that need help calling, etc....I would double in my home state.

If it's just one state and I have no others planning on my help, I'm prolonging the season unless I have other variables like long travel distance to get to my spot regularly.

nativeks

I will do it given the chance but shot #2 has to be a high percentage shot. Then I concentrate on fishing and putting other folks on birds. I like to turkey hunt, but I like to do lots of other things too.