OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Why do we look for the "rollover" in a call?

Started by markjm15, February 20, 2015, 09:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markjm15

Hey guys as I was listening to youtube videos of hens yelping I noticed something. As far as I can hear I do not hear a significant "rollover" in their yelp. We all strive for that easy breaking high to low rollover in our pot calls. And I admit I love that easy breaking rollover in my calls. But when I listen to this hen it is more of a very very small amount of whine on the front end with all rasp on the back end. This has greatly influenced me and for the year of 2015 I will be striving to change the tone and break in my calls to achieve that sound of almost all rasp in the note. This may just be me but I am curious as to what you guys think and if you have sound files of real hens with a high front end and low rasp I would love to hear your videos or sound files! Hear is the video I am referring to

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObCUbHGe6Qg
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

drenalinld

In the early part of the video before she comes into view I hear almost all front end with little or no roll-over. In the middle part of the video she does yelp with very little front end and almost all raspy back end. At one point it's questionable if she's yelping or cutting. Toward the end she yelps again with almost all front end and very little break or rasp. Real hens do it to both extremes. It does seem to me that the more agitated she gets the more back end or rasp she delivers. So going from clear yelps to raspy yelps can definitely convey agitation or agression in my opinion.

WillowRidgeCalls

If you listen closely you'll also here that when that hen hits those deep raspy yelps the gob answers her. You can't build a call with enough rasp in it, or I should say you can't sell a call with enough rasp in it. The rollover is in the front of the end of the rasp, NOT in the front end of the yelp, but a humans ear has a hard time hearing it, so for selling calls people want that stage call sound, a high to med to little rasp sounding call. If they can't hear the rollover they think it sounds funny  :begging:.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

outdoors

THEY SOUND DIFFERENT JUST LIKE US , WE ALL DONT SOUND THE SAME
TONES MAKE FOR A MOOD THAT THERE IN .....

IVE CALLED IN MORE GOBBLERS WITH A TRUMPET CALL THAN A POT CALL
AND THERES NO RASP IN THAT CALL ........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Crawdad

Buddy, I can say one thing, you sure know your way around a turkey call, you sound as good as the hen, good job.

markjm15

:TrainWreck1:
Quote from: Crawdad on February 20, 2015, 10:53:04 AM
Buddy, I can say one thing, you sure know your way around a turkey call, you sound as good as the hen, good job.

Crawdad,

I would like to take credit for the calling in the video. However this is not my video or my calling. The caller sure does know a thing or two about his call.
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

markjm15

:gobble:
Quote from: outdoors on February 20, 2015, 10:49:23 AM
THEY SOUND DIFFERENT JUST LIKE US , WE ALL DONT SOUND THE SAME
TONES MAKE FOR A MOOD THAT THERE IN .....

IVE CALLED IN MORE GOBBLERS WITH A TRUMPET CALL THAN A POT CALL
AND THERES NO RASP IN THAT CALL ........

I agree about the rasp and clear note factor but what I'm more concerned with is the "two tone" yelps.

IMO it seems like hens use a clear sounding yelp to send the vibe that they are content and use a lot of rasp when aggression sets in. I know calling with big breaking calls and rollovers still kills gobblers but I believe we are sending mixed signals to turkeys when we use a very clean front end only to take it down into a nasty barking yelp. In my years of hunting I've noticed that hens will use either one yelp or the other. I don't know that I've ever heard a "two toned" yelp come out of a hen. Or maybe I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. It seems like to me competition calling is all about who can get the most rollover and high to low notes out of the call rather than sounding like a wild turkey. Just a thought guys. I look forward to your feedback!!
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

Jbird22

I love that video. That's why I don't strive for every yelp in a cadence to be perfect. Some are a lot of front end with little break, some are even two-notes, and some are mostly back end with good rasp. For me, it just sounds authentic based on what my ears have personally heard real hen turkeys do.

stone road turkey calls

Theres only one way that any turkey call ever made will not kill a turkey, because you left it home.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Bigspurs68

She sounds perfectly wild and the inflection she puts into her yelping and cadence is exactly what I strive for in my calling. As far as rollover, that ke-yolk that some folks look for in a yelp, has killed a pile of turkeys and will kill a pile more but when a hen is trying to express some type of emotion, the rollover yelp seems vanilla in comparison. Just goes to show that it sure doesn't hurt to put feeling into your calling and to tune your ears in when a hen is speaking. Best teachers there are!
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

M Sharpe

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

markjm15

Quote from: M Sharpe on February 20, 2015, 08:55:48 PM
And you don't hear roll over in that???

Not really? There is a slight rollover but not to the magnitude of our turkey calls we run.
Mueller Custom Calls

-Mark Mueller

M Sharpe

Roll over is 2 notes. Maybe not the high that you hear most competition callers do. Listen to the guy doing the calling. He has a distinct rollover, she does not have that real high front end. If she did not have roll over in that yelp, you would just hear the same tone, ya.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!