OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's your goals

Started by Bama turkey hunter, February 19, 2015, 10:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama turkey hunter

For this spring turkey season. I  got 2 different birds that put the slip on me more than once last year so I would really like to introduce them to some nitros.
Tony

Skeeterbait

Stopped setting goals years ago.  I go and enjoy the outing and if it happens it happens.  Learned I would enjoy myself more if I don't put pressure on myself.  I just listen to the woods and react and see what happens.  I don't practice calling any more either.  I realized I wasn't getting any better for it and occasionally I fooled a turkey with what I could do.

jwhunter

I am taking a kid hunting on the youth hunt from St. Jude's . I really hope to exceed his expectations and get him away from his disease for a weekend

mgm1955

Enjoy the great outdoors and enjoy the gobbling.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Skeeterbait on February 19, 2015, 10:19:34 PM
Stopped setting goals years ago.  I go and enjoy the outing and if it happens it happens.  Learned I would enjoy myself more if I don't put pressure on myself.  I just listen to the woods and react and see what happens.  I don't practice calling any more either.  I realized I wasn't getting any better for it and occasionally I fooled a turkey with what I could do.

excellent post
I feel the same way, I use to carry all kinds of pressure and expectations  with me to the woods until it wasn't fun any more.
I quit that and now I sit back and enjoy the mornings that the good lord gives us and as you said "if it happens, it happens"
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Goose

To hunt longer when the birds aren't talking.

Its hard to do when you pass a stocked pond on the walk to the woods!

Gobble!

Tag out. Call birds in for friends.

tippatah

I've been skunked for the past two seasons. I was only able to go out a hand full of times due to being a Drill Sergeant working hellacious hours. My goal is to simply get out into the woods more and hone my turkey technique.

bammerslammer 50

My goals are different this year. I just want to enjoy myself and learn something new every trip.

bmhern

I really don't set any goals,too old for all that, I really just try to enjoy every minute of the spring. That being said, I do have a score to settle with a bird that I have done everything but kill!!! for the last 3 yrs, other than that, just enjoy!!!

Green Trumpeter

I would like to call a gobbler in with a wingbone call I made.  I don't use it much because I am so used to my other calls.

I really should have more confidence in it seeing as I have used it to call hens into range.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 19, 2015, 11:18:51 PM

excellent post
I feel the same way, I use to carry all kinds of pressure and expectations  with me to the woods until it wasn't fun any more.
I quit that and now I sit back and enjoy the mornings that the good lord gives us and as you said "if it happens, it happens"
words of wisdom. The only real goal/wish I have is to be able to see my dad take his first 20 guage bird this year and me get to be there and witness it. Other than that, I hope I can slow down and thank god for how he has blessed me with another opportunity to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigspurs68

My goal is to teach my girls more this spring and to put birds in front of them. Watching them hunt and seeing them kill turkeys makes me completely happy!
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

jakesdad

Pretty much this^^^  I learned it made it more work than fun trying to reach a "goal". I'd say if I had one at all it would be get my son his first spring bird.But if we turn it into work by pressuring ourselves to get it done instead of having fun enjoying the experience,havent we missed the point of turkey hunting altogether?

I'm not saying a person shouldnt set goals,but I think way too many people set the bar to high then end up not happy by not reaching them,totally missing all the good things that happened along the way. :z-twocents:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

M Sharpe

To call in more turkeys for my wife to kill using her faithfull 20 ga. Rem. 1100 (Ol' Nellie)!!!
And, to make another trip back to the N. GA mountains to hunt with Herb McClure!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!