Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calls to make when the gobbler is closing in.

Started by deerbasshunter3, February 19, 2015, 08:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

As many of you can probably tell, I am new to this, so that is why I am asking a million questions.  :emoticon-animal-005:  Well, here goes one more.

When you call to a gobbler, and you get him coming in, what calls do you make when he is closing in?

What I assume I would do is my regular calls to locate and call him in. When he is getting closer, stick with clucks or purrs from a diaphragm call?

West Augusta

If he's coming in you don't need to call.  Scratch leaves at most.  He already knows where you are within feet and is coming. Get ready.  If he comes in a full strut, a quick yelp usually gets him out of strut and stretching his neck up to look around for you. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Spitten and drummen

None. He is coming let him come. Calling can hang him up. Then again no absolutes in turkey hunting. I don't even scratch in the leaves when he commits. I want him looking for that hen he heard and not fix in on my position.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

WildSpur

Silence!  Especially of he is with 75 yards Imo.

Cluck more, yelp less

K9Doc

If u know he is coming, SHUT UP!!!   :turkey2:
Let him look for you. If he hangs up and u can hear him
Drumming, or know he is close but can't see you
Scratch the leaves.  Scratch like a turkey tho.
Scratch, scratch, scratch. Pause pause
Scratch, Scratch, Scratch.
Gun up!  KABOOM!!!!!
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

ericjames

deerbasshunter3

So, silence it is. Does the same hold true if you have a decoy(s) out?

Jbird22

Yep, I'm with everyone else. If you KNOW he's coming, don't even think about calling. As for decoys, once he sees them calling probably won't benefit you much. At that point, his mind should be made up.

ferocious calls

Knowing when or if hei is committed can be dicey. Often they will seem as if they are committed only to swing low or high or out of sight. Good advise to sit tight and quiet
as long as he is closing in and see how it plays out.

bmhern

WillowRidgeCalls

I've always talk them right in to trigger time. Real soft whines or keeyelps, purrs, if he's alone. If you stay completely quiet and your hunting an area that has a good turkey population, most times he'll loose interest, because he's searching for any movement trying to find that hen he heard, and if he hears a hen even far off he gone chasing her, they can hear what we can't. Keep it very light and super soft. If he's got hens with him, talk to the hens, again keep it soft and friendly. If there's a boss hen with him and she starts to get loud, copy her every word, but louder than she is and cut her off every time she opens her mouth, it drives then nuts and she'll crawl right in your lap screaming at you. If there's two gobs, you can just keeyelp at them, that tells them your not there to fight just a welcome friendly chat, gobbler will keeyelp softly as they group up.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

slwayne

Quote from: WillowRidgeCalls on February 20, 2015, 12:47:32 AM
I've always talk them right in to trigger time. Real soft whines or keeyelps, purrs, if he's alone. If you stay completely quiet and your hunting an area that has a good turkey population, most times he'll loose interest, because he's searching for any movement trying to find that hen he heard, and if he hears a hen even far off he gone chasing her, they can hear what we can't. Keep it very light and super soft. If he's got hens with him, talk to the hens, again keep it soft and friendly. If there's a boss hen with him and she starts to get loud, copy her every word, but louder than she is and cut her off every time she opens her mouth, it drives then nuts and she'll crawl right in your lap screaming at you. If there's two gobs, you can just keeyelp at them, that tells them your not there to fight just a welcome friendly chat, gobbler will keeyelp softly as they group up.

Yep, this is more of the approach that I take.  Especially the advice regarding talking to the hens.  I primarily hunt wooded public land so I want to keep that gobbler's attention.  Once he is in sight, which usually means he is pretty close since I'm hunting the woods, I tone it down and watch his reaction.  If he is making steady progress towards me, even if it's slow steady progress, then I shut up.  If he gives any indication at all of hanging up or hesitating then I get back on him again but real soft.  Usually just soft clucks and purrs.  Never tried scratching the leaves but I'm going to add it to the bag of tricks this season.

hunter22

Once a gobbler commits and I know is coming I put the calls down and get my gun on my shoulder. If he locks up I cluck a couple times. He knows where you are. When they lock up at 75 yards and go to strutting they are telling the hen to come on over to him. I think that is when a lot folks over call. 

PALongspur

I agree with the others. Once he's just out of sight, I get my hands on the gun. If he is held up, I may reach down and rake the leaves or even try to mimic footsteps with my open hand.

mgm1955

Quote from: West Augusta on February 19, 2015, 08:24:10 PM
If he's coming in you don't need to call.  Scratch leaves at most.  He already knows where you are within feet and is coming. Get ready.  If he comes in a full strut, a quick yelp usually gets him out of strut and stretching his neck up to look around for you. 
:agreed: