turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Black Hills

Started by crappieangler, February 18, 2015, 09:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crappieangler

My plans with my cousin to hunt OK have fallen through for this year, and I was thinking about replacing that trip with a trip out to the black hills. I know there's been a lot of discussion about this hunt and I've gone through some of the old threads, but was curious if anyone had any input about bird numbers out there in the past year or two. I was out there in mid October with family and found a flock of hens and their poults when I had a little free time to go scout.  I think they were in an area that may not be heavily hunted, compared to Custer where I always see them near the roads.  If anyone has any tactics for someone planning to get off the beaten path to find birds, and any tactics of hunting these birds in the snow I would greatly appreciate it.   Since it's replacing OK it will likely be during the opening week. So hoping to avoid mass crowds and be prepared for hunting in the snow (actually looking forward to the snow).   Thanks in advance for any input you are willing to share.

cornfedkiller

From my experience in the Black Hills, which is only once so take it for what it's worth, in the early season, there are a ton of birds concentrated in cattle feed lots (and when I say ton, I mean several hundred).  I was told by the locals that as the season progresses the birds move further into the hills.

crappieangler

I've read that and I've also read otherwise.  I plan to speak with CO out there as well to get an idea, but was hoping not to have to pay a trespass fee.  THanks for the info cornfed.

Timmer

The Black Hills are one of my favorite places in general, not just for hunting!  I've hunted there several times.  In my experience you have to be willing to cover a lot of ground, and hike up the hills, to find the birds.  Once you locate them, use the land to your advantage to get close.  The rocky terrain provides great cover and the pine needle floor is quiet.   

The challenge I have had is that there is so much logging due to the pine beatle problems that it changes a lot from one season to the next and that really impacts the birds  Three of my historical  favorite areas don't have a single tree anymore!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

crappieangler

I agree, it's one of my favorite places to go....and those beetles have reeked havoc out there unfortunately.  I had only been out there as a tourist growing up, but the last two times I've been out there I've gotten to fly fish a bit.  I love those cold water streams and the solitude.  Everything about that place is gorgeous. The sights, the sounds, the smells.....it can't get much better.  Add in a spring gobbler sounding off on the roost and you may as well die and go to heaven.