OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey tote question

Started by cornfedkiller, February 18, 2015, 02:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornfedkiller

I'm making up a few turkey totes right now for myself and a few of my friends/family, and I have a question for you guys.  The style Im making right now have a handle on them that you would hold with one hand, and then it goes back over your shoulder and attaches to the bird's legs (the style I assume mostly everyone is familiar with), but I'm thinking of trying a different style and wanted to get you guys' opinion on it.

Has anyone ever used a tote that attaches to each leg, but then you wear it over your same side shoulder similar to how you would carry a duffle bag or how a woman wears a purse?  I'm just thinking then it would be essentially hands-free, and the bird would be off to my side and less likely to be dripping blood all over the back of my pants. 

I tried looking them up online and it seems like nobody uses one like that, so why not? Do you see any issues with something like that?

guesswho

This is what I use.  I've toted one or two with both styles, but I like this a lot better than the handle style.  Both feet go in one loop, the head in the other.  Carry the bird like a shoulder bag, that sounded a little more manly than a purse, but not much.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Gobble!

Have the same setup as guesswho.

cornfedkiller

I bow hunt pretty much exclusively and take headshots so many of the birds don't have a head anymore when I'm toting them out of the woods, but do you think the style you guys use would work just as well if you put one foot in each loop and carried it with its head down? 

bunk

This is the style I make. Same as said above, head in one loop both feet in the other. Works great.

bunk

I believe you could put a foot in each loop and it would work. On the other hand I think it would cinch down on the neck enough to work with out a head.

guesswho

Quote from: cornfedkiller on February 18, 2015, 03:21:50 PM
I bow hunt pretty much exclusively and take headshots so many of the birds don't have a head anymore when I'm toting them out of the woods, but do you think the style you guys use would work just as well if you put one foot in each loop and carried it with its head down?
I would think that would work about like the handle style for an over the back carry, but might not be as easy on the hand.   As an over the shoulder and neck carry I don't think it would work to well.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

guesswho

Quote from: bunk on February 18, 2015, 03:26:16 PM
On the other hand I think it would cinch down on the neck enough to work with out a head.
Yes, the feathers and waddles will keep it from slipping most of the time. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

cornfedkiller

Im sorry I didnt look closely at the second picture you posted guesswho... 

Haha I now see why guys who use a sling like that put both legs in one and the head in the other - I can see how over the neck/shoulder style wouldn't work so well with just one leg in each! 

The style I was thinking of would be shorter than your lanyard, and you would put one leg in each loop, but you wouldn't put it over your neck. (see below)  It would just hang over your shoulder, and the bird's feet would be under your arm (5" down from your arm pit), and its head would be hanging down by your knee.

Im just curious if this would be a better idea because it would essentially be "hands free" so that I can still carry by bow and blind out with me.

cowhornyelper

I use a short piece of small size rope and put both feet in one end and the head in the other.  Put it over my shoulder, with the tail down so it doesn't look like a 'fan'!  I do carry a plastic bag (like the one that is on the newspaper in the rain) that goes over the head to keep blood contained.  A braided one, like shown, wouldn't 'cut' as much as a small rope!
cowhornyelper

Illini Tom

i have used the top turkey tote in the link for quite a few years
works great. just make a cinch loop out of each end and slip it over each foot, pull it tight and put the strap over your shoulder
i've never tried it that way, but it would work with both legs in one loop and the head in the other
either way, it puts the weight on your shoulder instead of your wrist

edit ... link didnt work, here's pix of a couple from midwest

hookedspur

Quote from: bunk on February 18, 2015, 03:22:24 PM
This is the style I make. Same as said above, head in one loop both feet in the other. Works great.

This is like mine.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

cornfedkiller

silvestris

Guess who's method is the only way to carry a turkey out of the woods, and head forward keeps the feathers pretty if you have to get him through thick stuff.  Been using one for years but.in the form of polyurethane 3/8 or 1/2 inch braided rope.  Will never change.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

grayfox

Quote from: guesswho on February 18, 2015, 02:34:11 PM
This is what I use.  I've toted one or two with both styles, but I like this a lot better than the handle style.  Both feet go in one loop, the head in the other.  Carry the bird like a shoulder bag, that sounded a little more manly than a purse, but not much.

Guesswho, where you get a turkey tote like that?  Looks handy to have.  Last several birds I've hauled out like to put a whooping on me.