OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Alabama turkey

Started by Narf, February 18, 2015, 12:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narf

Hi everyone, I have s business trip to Birmingham end of March. I am thinking about staying the weekend and getting my turkey season started. Question is, how is the turkey hunting on public land down there? My quick searching didn't turn up much ground and my concern is heavy pressure. Anyone have experience or advice? I'm all ears. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bammerslammer 50

Very heavily pressured. At least the land I hunt is. You got all the public land you can hunt about 45 mins east down i20. I suggest staying in oxford after your business is done with if you can. Pm me if you need anything. I hunt all around there ill help you anyway I can. Good luck.

CASH

THERE ARE NO TURKEYS IN ALABAMA
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

GomerPyle

There are no turkeys here...

[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

CASH

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

tonybforua

Quote from: bammerslammer 50 on February 18, 2015, 01:59:52 AM
Very heavily pressured. At least the land I hunt is. You got all the public land you can hunt about 45 mins east down i20. I suggest staying in oxford after your business is done with if you can. Pm me if you need anything. I hunt all around there ill help you anyway I can. Good luck.

What land do you hunt? I hunt the Talladega Nation Forest in Maplesville. Not a whole lot of pressure there after first 2 weeks.

arkrem870

LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

grayfox

I hunt the Forest Land in Maplesville also.  It has not been as crowded the last couple years as it has been.  But that's because not as many turkeys been gobbling.  Let the turkeys start gobbling real good & it will get crazy in a hurry!

tonybforua

I heard pretty decent gobbling last year. I hunt mainly around the fire tower back towards the hanging tree.

grayfox

Quote from: tonybforua on February 18, 2015, 10:00:24 PM
I heard pretty decent gobbling last year. I hunt mainly around the fire tower back towards the hanging tree.

I hunted the front side & back side last year. Killed one past the hunters camp on the right from Perry Mt. coming from Hwy 183. They were some turkeys gobbling but not as many as in the past.  Seems like they go through phases maybe real good one year & then not so good the next.  About 3 or 4 years ago I never heard so many gobbling over there & the hunters were all over that place! Maybe I'll see you this Spring.

bammerslammer 50

Quote from: tonybforua on February 18, 2015, 08:16:11 PM
Quote from: bammerslammer 50 on February 18, 2015, 01:59:52 AM

What land do you hunt? I hunt the Talladega  Forest in Maplesville. Not a whole lot of pressure there after first 2 weeks.

Cheha mt. And chocolocco mgt. Area. They stayed pretty pressured up all season.

bamagtrdude

---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

hootn

Quote from: grayfox on February 18, 2015, 10:53:36 PM

I hunted the front side & back side last year. Killed one past the hunters camp on the right from Perry Mt. coming from Hwy 183. They were some turkeys gobbling but not as many as in the past.  Seems like they go through phases maybe real good one year & then not so good the next.  About 3 or 4 years ago I never heard so many gobbling over there & the hunters were all over that place! Maybe I'll see you this Spring.

yall leave my turkeys alone or i will sick cash on yall.

scott

CASH

Quote from: hootn on February 19, 2015, 11:20:50 AM

yall leave my turkeys alone or i will sick cash on yall.

scott

Agreed

tonybforua

If you don't mind walking you can have good luck over there.