turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

favorite mouth call?

Started by WNCTracker, February 17, 2015, 08:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveco

Primos Tru Double.  Reeds never stick together.  I started with a Quaker Boy Raspy Old Hen, and have tried others through the years, but I stick with the Primos call.

Gobblerstopper

Hooks Swindler & Game Changer 2
XT Calls Havoc and Mayham

MDSTRUTNRUT

Tried out GOOSERBATS this year and they sound AWESOME to me that is, we'll see what the gobblers thinks.    I like 3RD STRIKE but BACON sounds pretty good too but all pallets are different but worth a try.

perrytrails

I've used and taken a bunch of birds with the executioner and executioner 2.
I've gave then to newbies and a few tips and in a short time they pick it up.
Great call, easy to run from purrs to deep sharp cuts. 

BennieGobbler

Cane Creek Tough Man
Woodhaven CopperHead
Cane Creek Mr. Death
Down N Dirty  Anthrax
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Honolua

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 18, 2015, 08:43:07 AM
My experience with all levels of callers and their general calling abilities is that a double or triple reed call made with .003 latex or a combination of latex and proph (.0025), and with some form of V-cut or modified V-cut, will usually work best for the majority of them.

Users often have trouble with heavier latex combinations and more "non-traditional" reed cuts such as the bat-cut and ghost-cut calls. 

Also, depending on how you "blow" a call, having the cuts in the sound reed in certain locations (center, off-set right, or left) may make a big difference on how well you call.  My advice is to look at each call you are considering buying, regardless of manufacturer, and make your choices based on cut style and latex thickness to start with.  If you have some idea of "what works best for you", then you do have a starting point on making your choices.

Finally, buying a call because it has a high price-tag is generally a useless way to determine the sound quality of a call,...and your potential ability to use it.

Good stuff

WNCTracker

Just ordered a red wasp to try. I'm sure it's just my lousy skills but I can't get the gooserbat bacon to sound as great as everybody else seems to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDSTRUTNRUT

Hope the wasp works for you, may not be your fault just that all calls fit different but when you get one that fits you buy 100 naw just keep it in the back of your mind when you need a replacement.  I cant use 90% of the ones I've bought over the years, I have a jar in the frig full of them even tho some of my friends run them great.      GOODLUCK!

houagie

Love the hooks line of diaphragm calls......#1 in my book!

WNCTracker

The wasp is pretty sweet. Hooks is easier but I bet with practice the wasp will be better. Sounds great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honolua

Been using a Woodhaven Red Ghost a lot lately...awesome call.

WNCTracker

Good advice

blkpowder

Houndstooth Tom Bomb,Gooserbat Bacon and Legacy Fatal Attraction

sixbird

I keep tryin' 'em and keep going back to the Woodhaven classic V2. easy to run and works! That said, Bought two new ones this year that sound really good and are easy to run...Pecker Wrecker Home Wrecker and Flirt. We'll see what the turkeys think in 5 days!   :OGani:

jlewis4390

I just got the 3rd strike ,OSS,and double bit from goosebat and I like em but my favorite is 3rd strike but still deciding if to use it or my hook hunter primos call ...something about the hook hunter that just makes it sound spot on ......gonna try wood haven and hooks next