News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge users?

Started by gobblinfever, February 17, 2015, 07:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cohutta Strutter

Quote from: FullChoke on February 17, 2015, 10:06:36 PM
I switched from 12 to 20 gauge a few years ago. The lighter weight of the 20 is certainly a plus, but not just in carrying it in the woods. It is much easier to hold on target for extended periods when the gobbler is just out of sight. It is also easier to swing smoothly onto a bird when you are caught out of position. With the advances in choke tubes and shells, there is nothing lost in going to the 20. A group of pellets travelling 1,100 feet per second have the same effect on a gobbler regardless of what gauge gun they come from. Find a combination of choke & shell that gives you an even distribution of 100 or more (sometimes many more) pellets in a 10" diameter circle and you can kill any gobbler anywhere within range. 

FullChoke
Captain, The Roaring 20's
FullChoke you nailed it. It's the ease in carrying a lightweight gun for a full day afield, ease in which you can maneuver you gun into position, ease in which you can hold the gun up for an extended period of time. All these things sold me on the 20 not to mention the effective killing patterns that can be achieved with them. Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

pappy

I use my Mossberg 20 dropped my Benelli Nova 12 that left me wore out after shooting it, the 20 is so much lighter foe me to carry and it is a youth model, so I have plenty of sight improvement especially sitting and seeing approach at 10 oclock too. I just wish Fereal would hurry up with their 20 Longbeard shells...then everything would be perfect.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Tail Feathers

I bought one for the grandsons last year and was so impressed with it that I bought me a Winchester SX3 20 gauge for this season.  Patterns great with Federal HW 7's.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gut Pile

Really enjoy the comfort of carrying the bantam 20 gauge in the woods / no concerns at all about if it can get the job done compared to my 12 gauge,  resason being I have only ever taken Turkey's with a 20 gauge, I guess I just don't know any other way right now. Planning on buying my kids / and brother a 20 as well, as I get them into all things Turkey.

I will admit that with all of the great things I have heard about the 835 I am tempted to get one, but really do not need it, it would just round out the gun collection
about the best religion can possibly do, is maybe make you a nice person, where as a relationship with Jesus Christ can make you a new creation

ep427

The 20s seem to be lighter than 12s. I would rather carry my 20 any day. But have never killed a turkey with it.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: ep427 on February 19, 2015, 07:08:41 PM
The 20s seem to be lighter than 12s. I would rather carry my 20 any day. But have never killed a turkey with it.

when you do, you will never pick up a 12 again
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

wvboy

I have two 20's and one 12 now.. well one of the 20's is my sons.. but I carry it more than he does.. I am slowly finding myself carrying them more over the last couple of years than the 12.. they are so light and just as deadly out to 40 yds.. I'm afraid I will be a full time 20 user sooner rather than later :)
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

FullChoke

Just drink the Kool-Aid and soon you will see the light, real soon.  :happy0167:  8)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

darron

I went from carrying a gold 10...to a 20ga. I still occasionally use my Benelli m1 12ga since the patterns I get with 3" hevi 7 is unreal. However, my 870 20ga with ssx and federal hw 7 give me patterns that would beat any 12ga lead pattern I have ever seen. I just picked up a m1187 20ga and can't wait to see how it patterns with federal hw 7 and the ssx.

When I hunt with my father I have to use my 12...because he always takes the 20 :) Now that I have 2, we can both have one.

firedup

Just can't beat the little 20's for carry weight and shooting.  And like everyone has said, with the rite choke and shell they are just as deadly to a reasonable and ethical distance.  Here is my little H&R I tweaked abit.  4 lbs of spring ridge running delite! I LOVE this gun!  ;D

The Cohutta Strutter

That's what " wez talkin bout"....  :icon_thumright::Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?