turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20 gauge users?

Started by gobblinfever, February 17, 2015, 07:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblinfever

Who on here uses or have used a 20 gauge to turkey hunt. They effective? Thought about using one this year.
Nothing better than turkey huntin

owlhoot

20 gauge turkey guns and 20 gauge patterns , lots of info..Fed. hwt 7 very deadly. Hevi 6 very deadly.

Light and easy on the shoulder , some wont use anything else.
Just be advised , that 12 may begin to feel like a safe queen!

cphill

Quote from: owlhoot on February 17, 2015, 07:55:16 PM
20 gauge turkey guns and 20 gauge patterns , lots of info..Fed. hwt 7 very deadly. Hevi 6 very deadly.

Light and easy on the shoulder , some wont use anything else.
Just be advised , that 12 may begin to feel like a safe queen!
what he said...I give up the 12 a few years back and dont see me going back to it

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

remmy1187

Same here, LOVE my 20!!!  With the right load and choke combo they are very effective.  I would highly recommend using either Hevi-Shot or Heavyweight.  Lead just doesn't typically pattern dense enough for shots much beyond 30 yards out of the 20 guages.

silvestris

Get a youth model.  They give you a few more degrees of coverage and since you shoot a turkey shotgun like a rifle you lose nothing at ten o'clock.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Snoodsniper

Thought about taking my bunny gun turkey hunting but I just can't bring myself to.

Rapscallion Vermilion

^^^^  Good advice from silvestris.   I'm completely spoiled now after carrying what used to be my son's 20 gauge 11-87 youth model for a few years (he's taller than me now), especially in these New Mexico mountains.  With Federal HW #7 I feel confident at any range that I consider it ethical to pull the trigger.

alloutdoors

The only turkey gun I ever had was a 12ga 870 until I treated myself and picked up a 20ga M2 before last season. Can't imagine I'll ever replace it, and I sure won't be carrying a 12ga again. The M2 with HW 7's is far deadlier than the 870 ever was with lead 5's.

FullChoke

I switched from 12 to 20 gauge a few years ago. The lighter weight of the 20 is certainly a plus, but not just in carrying it in the woods. It is much easier to hold on target for extended periods when the gobbler is just out of sight. It is also easier to swing smoothly onto a bird when you are caught out of position. With the advances in choke tubes and shells, there is nothing lost in going to the 20. A group of pellets travelling 1,100 feet per second have the same effect on a gobbler regardless of what gauge gun they come from. Find a combination of choke & shell that gives you an even distribution of 100 or more (sometimes many more) pellets in a 10" diameter circle and you can kill any gobbler anywhere within range. 

FullChoke
Captain, The Roaring 20's

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cutt down

Quote from: FullChoke on February 17, 2015, 10:06:36 PM
I switched from 12 to 20 gauge a few years ago. The lighter weight of the 20 is certainly a plus, but not just in carrying it in the woods. It is much easier to hold on target for extended periods when the gobbler is just out of sight. It is also easier to swing smoothly onto a bird when you are caught out of position. With the advances in choke tubes and shells, there is nothing lost in going to the 20. A group of pellets travelling 1,100 feet per second have the same effect on a gobbler regardless of what gauge gun they come from. Find a combination of choke & shell that gives you an even distribution of 100 or more (sometimes many more) pellets in a 10" diameter circle and you can kill any gobbler anywhere within range. 

FullChoke
Captain, The Roaring 20's

It's hard to grasp for some but FC is right. 1100 fps is 1100 fps no matter what gauge. I quit carrying my 12 2yrs ago & it has a fantastic pattern. My little 20 kills them just as dead. How dead you want them?

nativeks

I only use my 20 ga 390. Primos Jellyhead choke tube and Hevishot 5s and turkeys drop.

BowBendr

Can't see myself carrying my 12 much anymore.
The 20 will do anything I ask of it.

K9Doc

Benelli M2 20 gauge with TSS for me.
Can't Imagine not using it.
Mine outperforms 10/10 Bigbores shooting
Traditional loads or Hevishot.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

bcknuts

I carry my wife's 20 every chance I get.
It's so light to carry in the woods.
Kevin

Adamj1218

I've been hunting with my 20g two seasons and love it.  It patterns great with HW and Hevi-13's.  I am hand loading TSS this year and with the right choke combo, it will make you switch to a 20g :drool:  Good luck