OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ol Tom essentials vest?

Started by Swampchickin234, February 16, 2015, 08:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swampchickin234

Am looking at getting a lightweight vest to Cary a few calls and have a seat. To those of you who have these , do you like them?  Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Not a fan of the ol tom vests. I spent way to much time fixing the sewing in the I-beam I owned.

Swampchickin234

Quote from: Gobble! on February 16, 2015, 08:45:18 PM
Not a fan of the ol tom vests. I spent way to much time fixing the sewing in the I-beam I owned.
so it didn't hold up to you very well?  Or you just didn't like it?  I've had really good luck with durability on my ol tom clothes    I just har never owned a ol tom vest.  I like my super elite 111and I love my old field line from wal mart probably even more, but I am looking for a lightweight vest that is in a vest form.  And I'm just not big on the beard buster belts and fanny packs lol

mgm1955

Have 2 Ol' Tom vests and am very happy with their set-up and durability.

Swampchickin234

MGM which do you have?   When the super elite wears out ill prolly get there cotton 1.  I like the look of the I beam, but I really want something simple like the essentials.  It seems like it would be very lightweight and I wouldn't carry a bunch of crap

davisd9

Love my ol Tom!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WV Ridge Reaper

Gobble!

Quote from: Swampchickin234 on February 16, 2015, 09:24:40 PM

Quote from: Gobble! on February 16, 2015, 08:45:18 PM
so it didn't hold up to you very well?  Or you just didn't like it?  I've had really good luck with durability on my ol tom clothes    I just har never owned a ol tom vest.  I like my super elite 111and I love my old field line from wal mart probably even more, but I am looking for a lightweight vest that is in a vest form.  And I'm just not big on the beard buster belts and fanny packs lol

The sewing in multiple areas was coming undone and I had to resew it. Not something that should happen on a $150 vest. I have some of their clothing and it holds up fine.

bammerslammer 50

I used that vest last season. Everything about it was great but the seat. It was uncomfortable for me. I went back to the bucklick creek vest bass pro has for the comfort. I wish bass pro would improve the quality of that vest. I'd give 200.00 for it if it would last as long as some others do.

Illini Tom

this will by my 4th season with the ol tom time and motion strap vest and would rate it a 10 outta 10
lightweight and durable with enough gear and call specific pockets for the essentials
seat isnt the greatest but i carry my short-legged webbed seat and leave the vest seat up for a backrest

Gobblefite

Quote from: Illini Tom on February 17, 2015, 09:42:05 AM
this will by my 4th season with the ol tom time and motion strap vest and would rate it a 10 outta 10
lightweight and durable with enough gear and call specific pockets for the essentials
seat isnt the greatest but i carry my short-legged webbed seat and leave the vest seat up for a backrest
X2 great turkey vest

arkrem870

I have had the strap vest for 5-6 years. It's not a quality vest.... Mine has been sewn, re-sewn, and zip tied together to keep it operable
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

StruttinGobbler3

I used an Ol Tom Essentials last turkey season. It's a nice vest, and I like the way it is designed and laid out. I had no issues with durability, but I only used it for one season. Sold it recently. I had no major complaint with the vest, except that it was not designed to carry all the gear that I take on a days hunt. I now have a Cabelas Tactical Tatr 2, and I am well pleased with it so far.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Swampchickin234

I appreciate y'all's replies. Since I've never had a super light weight vest, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger(now wait till it gets here). I specifically wanted a vest to carry only a few calls for when I walk in on public ground. I like my others but man they get hot and I end up carrying way to much crap.  So I decided I'd get a lightweight vest with a the bare necessities then have my other for when I don't walk as much