turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet vs Tube?

Started by wisconsinteacher, February 16, 2015, 03:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

If you were to pick up one to master, which one would it be and why?

I currently have been working with a few trumpets and am getting better but I have a hard time going from a trumpet to a tube and making it sound like a turkey.  Should I stick with one and master it then work on the tube? 

USMC0331

Keep practicing with both. They are both excellent calls and work very well in heavy hunted areas. The tube was much easier for me to run. Trumpet has excellent sound quality  as well. Mr. Dangerfield II helped me a lot on the trumpet call. He said pretend you are trying to draw air through a coffee stir as you draw air through the trumpet. Adjust lip stop up or down till you can softly draw air through trumpet and make a steady "whistle" after that practice trying to make your turkey vocals. So far it helped me out a lot.

pappy

Got to tell ya, both are excellent calls and yep, practice practice practice....is the key to consistent calling on any call and especially these two. The edge is that once you become acquainted with your calls you would most likely be the only guy in the woods with one and those toms will come to find out who the new girl on the block is...
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

West Augusta

Trumpet was easier for me to learn although I could easily goose hunt with a tube call.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

SCGobbler

I say learn both.

My fear is that I have always been told that tubes sounds like a goose, even when I have them tuned to my ear to sound like a turkey.  That is why I have always shyed away from them.

Personally trumpets have a better sound and tone to me, but I must say, both are killer calls when no one else is using them in the woods.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

mgm1955

Quote from: West Augusta on February 16, 2015, 06:47:50 PM
Trumpet was easier for me to learn although I could easily goose hunt with a tube call.  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
That's too funny! I like a trumpet better just because I think I can play it better.

wisconsinteacher

I think I need to work on the tube more.  I wish there was a way to know for sure if the latex is set correctly.

USMC0331

Mr. Morgan said to tune, make a dot on trailing  edge then measure 1 1/16 and put another dot. Line the dots on the edge of your tube and your ready for action. You can youtube kenny morgan tube call and it will explain it better. Hope this helps.

alloutdoors

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on February 17, 2015, 07:10:54 PM
I think I need to work on the tube more.  I wish there was a way to know for sure if the latex is set correctly.

Let me offer some advice, don't worry about if the latex is "correct". What is correct for you probably isn't correct for me, and someone else will want it set different from either of us. You just need to keep playing with it until you learn what placement and tension allows YOU to get the best sound.

To answer your first question, they are both great but in my opinion if I was picking one it would be the trumpet. Tubes are awesome for sure but the sound is very similar to a diaphragm, at least to my ears. Nothing else sounds like a trumpet and chances are pretty good the turkey you are calling to has never heard one before.

mspaci

I had great luck with Pappy`s killer keg call last spring, & this past fall & now own 3 & have one on the way. Try a tube you wont believe it. Mike

pappy

I have to add something here, at Nashville there was a young fellow with Savduck in their booth I can't remember his name, we met up with Vaturkey in his room and he ran my tubes and he had so much slack in the latex it looked like an elephant's skin but he sounded sweet on it. So I have to agree with what alloutdoors said, the way you play it will dictate how you adjust the latex....me ....I do the Morgan thing and start from there...and if you want to stick to the trumpet, again it is all up to your style of calling, hope this helps ya, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

worth612000

What about the wing bone yelper? Never heard anyone play one untill a couple of months ago. The guy playing it can play anything. But that little $15 call was spitting out some major feathers. They just seem too fragile to tote out to the woods.

idratherb

hard to beat a wingbone, i just got a stash from msharpe and couldnt be happier

hunter22

Tube calls are a little harder to master, but once you learn them it is a sound the turkeys don't hear a lot. I run a Kenny Morgan, Matt McLain, and Chuck Anderson tube and really like them.

M Sharpe

It's trumpet or wingbone for me. I never know what that first note is going to sound like on a tube call, plus the fact that I always keep having to fiddle with the latex while hunting.

Thanks for the compliment Jeff. Glad you are pleased with them!!

Mark
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!